Network/broadband advice

Old November 28th 03, 02:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Default Network/broadband advice

I've just got broadband, with NTL. It all works fine and I'm quite pleased.
Current config is two PCs (one is portable only connected sometimes)
networked via Ethernet using UTP cable and a Netgear hub. The cable modem
connects to the hub also.
I understand that I should, ideally, use a router as well. This would
provide a firewall and allow multiple users of the Internet connection.
Currently however, I am the only one using either of the PCs and so one
connection at a time is fine.
So, do these points make any sense?

1. There is a potential security issue as I am open to people on the net
accessing my data, if I enable file sharing.
2. If I am using NetBEUI for the LAN and TCP/IP only for the Internet, does
the security issue still apply?
I can bind file sharing to NetBEUI but not to TCP/IP. Does that solve the
problem?
3. If I run a software firewall, e.g. ZoneAlarm, will that prevent Internet
access to my data?

I probably will get a router in due course. I will be getting another
full-size PC, and would like the portable to be able to access the LAN and
Internet wirelessly. I am thinking of a Buffalo, which provides the wireless
networking, and is a router and hub also, I believe.
In the meantime I want to understand how things work and configure my setup
as best as I can.

What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

John

P.S. I don't want to link the cable modem direct to a PC via a second NIC,
and use ICS, as I don't want to have both the PCs on just to see the
Internet. The hardware approach seems the better option anyway.

P.P.S. I would remove NetBEUI if possible, if only in the interests of
keeping things simple, but have had problems making the LAN work on TCP/IP.
NetBEUI works ok.

Old November 28th 03, 04:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

I understand that I should, ideally, use a router as well. This would
provide a firewall and allow multiple users of the Internet connection.
Currently however, I am the only one using either of the PCs and so one
connection at a time is fine.

What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

John

Take a look at this weeks Micro Mart. article about using old 486 and
Linux Smoothwall to male a hardware firewall and dhcp server.

Dave

Old November 28th 03, 07:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:02:41 +0000, John Fryatt wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit puzzled here. Can both PS's connect to the internet? Usually NTL
will only let one device (a single registered MAC address) connect. This
is the main reason to employ a router.

And yes; your assumption about NetBEUI is correct. NetBEUI is not a
routable protocol so it can't pass over the internet. But, can you be sure
that your shares are not being exported on TCP/IP. NetBEUI can hitch a
ride on TCP/IP.

graham

Old November 28th 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

"Graham" wrote in message
news
snip

I'm a bit puzzled here. Can both PS's connect to the internet? Usually NTL
will only let one device (a single registered MAC address) connect. This
is the main reason to employ a router.

And yes; your assumption about NetBEUI is correct. NetBEUI is not a
routable protocol so it can't pass over the internet. But, can you be sure
that your shares are not being exported on TCP/IP. NetBEUI can hitch a
ride on TCP/IP.

graham

Thanks for the advice.

I am a bit puzzled as well. Yesterday, the first day I had the broadband,
what I said appeared to be true, I think. Now, however, I can't make the
notebook see the Internet. I'm still fiddling, but I expect I got confused
yesterday.
I think maybe I'll get the router anyway. In any case I want to be able to
hook up the portable without trailing wires around, so one of those routers
thingys with th 802.11 wireless link looks good.

John