Belkin Wireless DSL question

Old November 29th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RCE Defiant

Default Belkin Wireless DSL question

I am thinking of getting one of these but am wondering how my DSL connection
connects using this. I currently have a USB Alcatel modem that plugs into
my PC. Would the Alcatel plug into the DSL router or does the router
connect to the net for me?

--
RCE Defiant

Old November 29th 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:10 +0000, RCE Defiant wrote:

I am thinking of getting one of these but am wondering how my DSL
connection connects using this. I currently have a USB Alcatel modem that
plugs into my PC. Would the Alcatel plug into the DSL router or does the
router connect to the net for me?

You need a router that includes an ADSL modem. This will connect directly
to your telephone socket, there will be no need for the existing USB
modem.

Your PC will connect either via wirelss link or Cat5 cable to a network
card. Thease routers usually have 4 10/100 wired network outlets (RJ45).

There are several companies that make these devices; Belkin Netgear,
Linksys etc. They tend to be quite expensive because of thir multifunction
nature.

Don't be fooled by the cheaper types that say 'cable/DSL' these devices do
not have an ADSL modem in them and are no use to you.

graham

Old November 29th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RCE Defiant

"Graham" wrote in message
news
[...]

What about this one?

http://dellware.euro.dell.com/dellst...DUK_I08624 08

Manufacturer Belkin
Manufacturer # F5D7230UK4

--
RCE Defiant

Old November 29th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:06:56 +0000, RCE Defiant wrote:

"Graham" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:10 +0000, RCE Defiant wrote:

I am thinking of getting one of these but am wondering how my DSL
connection connects using this. I currently have a USB Alcatel modem

that
plugs into my PC. Would the Alcatel plug into the DSL router or does

the
router connect to the net for me?

You need a router that includes an ADSL modem. This will connect
directly to your telephone socket, there will be no need for the
existing USB modem.

Your PC will connect either via wirelss link or Cat5 cable to a network
card. These routers usually have 4 10/100 wired network outlets (RJ45).

There are several companies that make these devices; Belkin Netgear,
Linksys etc. They tend to be quite expensive because of their
multifunction nature.

Don't be fooled by the cheaper types that say 'cable/DSL' these devices
do not have an ADSL modem in them and are no use to you.

graham

What about this one?

http://dellware.euro.dell.com/dellst...DUK_I08624 08

Manufacturer Belkin
Manufacturer # F5D7230UK4

No wrong one, this must be fooling thousands of people. It is very
misleading!

The other thing is these things are selling like hot cakes. It seems that
it is this year's must have for Xmas. Supplies are very low and the prices
are rising daily! I would say if you don't actually need one now wait
until after Xmas the price should fall again. I think that the ting that
is driving router sales is the new generation of gaming consoles.

This is the Belkin one you want, there is a cheaper one with the slower
wireless link. Just make sure that it incorporates an ADSL modem.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=765
Manufacturer Belkin
Manufacturer # F5D7630UK4A

Graham

Old November 30th 03, 01:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RCE Defiant

"Graham" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:06:56 +0000, RCE Defiant wrote:

"Graham" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for that. I have a USB modem at the moment but don't really want to
have to put that into a router, would much more prefer the type of device
you've suggested.

--
RCE Defiant