How many people can use ICS under WinXP?

Old November 29th 03, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dirtycow

Default How many people can use ICS under WinXP?

Hi All,
I have two PC's networked together, mine running ICS connected to 600K
broadband. Were about to get another PC and want to connect this to the net
too. Ideally, I want to do this via bluetooth - i.e. connect the new PC and
my PC (the internet host) via bluetooth dongles - is this feasible? Has
anyone done it?

The second question is, will all three PC's be able to use the net at the
same time using ICS?

Cheers
Matt

Old November 29th 03, 01:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:38:40 -0000, "dirtycow"
wrote:

Ideally, I want to do this via bluetooth - i.e. connect the new PC and
my PC (the internet host) via bluetooth dongles - is this feasible? Has
anyone done it?

Yes possible. Simply Computers have them advertised for 30 + vat
which have 100m range or 20 + vat with 10m range.

Anyone, what advantage is there using Bluetooth instead of 802.11b?

The second question is, will all three PC's be able to use the net at the
same time using ICS?

Yes - I currently have up to 4 PCs sharing through ICS at any given
time. Beware that online games and downloads hit each other's
connection speeds so best to negotiate with the other users before
entering that fps tournament or downloading those Linux ISOs.

jay
Old November 29th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
in2minds

"Anyone, what advantage is there using Bluetooth instead of 802.11b?"
[..]

when I tested it I got the impression it is a LOT slower, downloading
files from 1 pc to another seemed to take much longer than my current
setup.
now using US Robotics 22mbps wireless cards, purely for convenience, and
they've been excellent.

Les

Old November 29th 03, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"dirtycow" wrote in
:

Hi All,
I have two PC's networked together, mine running ICS connected
to 600K broadband. Were about to get another PC and want to
connect this to the net too. Ideally, I want to do this via
bluetooth - i.e. connect the new PC and my PC (the internet
host) via bluetooth dongles - is this feasible? Has anyone done
it?

The second question is, will all three PC's be able to use the
net at the same time using ICS?

Yes.

The maxima are 5 for XP Home and 10 for XP Pro - see below:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882%22

--
BRG
===
Old November 29th 03, 02:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dirtycow

Anyone, what advantage is there using Bluetooth instead of 802.11b?

The main advantage to me is that I already own a bluetooth dongle, and it
would therefore be quite a lot cheaper to get the setup going.

Thanks for the info about ICS - the 3rd PC would very rarely be on the net
so I could live with a bit of a performance hit once in a while.

Matt