Wireless-G ADSL Modem + Router Combined?

Old November 30th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dan

Default Wireless-G ADSL Modem + Router Combined?

Hi, does anyone know of a combined ADSL modem + router which supports
wireless G (54mbps)? I have just bought a laptop which came with a LinkSys
Wireless-G Notebook adapter. I would like a combined adsl modem and router
but am having trouble locating one, they all seem to only support 11mbps.
If it was cheaper I wouldn't be opposed to buying a wifi router and seperate
ethernet modem, but all the ethernet ADSL modems I've found are 50+ which
seems pricey. Any recommendations on hardware and where to buy from would be
appreciated.

Many TIA,
Cheers,
Dan

Old November 30th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi, does anyone know of a combined ADSL modem + router which supports
wireless G (54mbps)? I have just bought a laptop which came with a LinkSys
Wireless-G Notebook adapter. I would like a combined adsl modem and router
but am having trouble locating one, they all seem to only support 11mbps.

All the major manufacturers have announced their combined 54G models but the
very first of these has only just reached retailers (the Netgear DG834G) and
sold out very quickly as there is a lot of pent up demand..

Other big manufacturers like Belkin, LinkSys and Draytek should be shipping
soon.

Available in all the usual online retailers like Amazon, Dabs, Ebuyer,
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk and http://www.wireless4u.co.uk/.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 30th 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:11:56 -0000, "Dan" wrote:

If it was cheaper I wouldn't be opposed to buying a wifi router and seperate
ethernet modem,

How about an ADSL modem/router and a wap?

jay
Old December 11th 03, 05:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RCE Defiant

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi, does anyone know of a combined ADSL modem + router which supports
wireless G (54mbps)? I have just bought a laptop which came with a

LinkSys
Wireless-G Notebook adapter. I would like a combined adsl modem and

router
but am having trouble locating one, they all seem to only support

11mbps.

All the major manufacturers have announced their combined 54G models but

the
very first of these has only just reached retailers (the Netgear DG834G)

and
sold out very quickly as there is a lot of pent up demand..

Mines on the way. Hope it works ok.

--
RCE Defiant

Old December 13th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"RCE Defiant" wrote in message
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
All the major manufacturers have announced their combined 54G models but

the
very first of these has only just reached retailers (the Netgear DG834G)

and
sold out very quickly as there is a lot of pent up demand..

Mines on the way. Hope it works ok.

Consider posting a review?

Regards
Sunil

Old December 13th 03, 05:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RCE Defiant

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
All the major manufacturers have announced their combined 54G models

but
the
very first of these has only just reached retailers (the Netgear

DG834G)
and
sold out very quickly as there is a lot of pent up demand..

Mines on the way. Hope it works ok.

Consider posting a review?

Regards
Sunil

I've had it up and running now for approx 24 hours. The set-up was quite
straight forward apart from one or two hiccups getting a DHCP assigned IP on
the clients, which was due to my software firewall that I don't need now
anyway as the device acts as a SPI firewall. The userguide is very good and
gives you all the info you need to handle some of the more 'hardcore'
features of the device. Even without the help file there is a help frame in
the config tool that comes in very handy. My connection to the internet is
as fast as it ever was using a wired modem (2meg) and there have been no
drop-outs of the connection. There's now a new firmware version already
available that addresses one or two issues.

http://www.netgear.com/support/suppo...asp?dnldID=561

I'm very happy with it. Just need to replace my clients 802.11b's adapters
with 54G one's.

My main reason for getting this was that my main machine kept crashing due
to the ADSL modem that it was using. Now that I have no modem installed on
the PC I've found my stability has gone back to ~%100.

--
RCE Defiant

Old December 13th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CSX

I got the us robotics 4 port wires router + ADSL modem and wirelessG.
Works fine with PIpex & Xbox
CSX