Cisco help needed.....please

Old November 30th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alexander S. Wood

Default Cisco help needed.....please

Hi guys

Stupidly I bought a new interface card for my Cisco router, even though
buying a whole new router and flinging the Cisco in the bin would have been
cheaper. This new card needs an upgrade of the IOS within the router and
that does not come with the card.

Does anyone know where I can get IOS 12.2.2 or later from, other than Cisco.
Cisco will not supply it unless I pay a grand or so and buy a tech support
contract. Apparently, under Cisco's outrageous tech support policy, the
guarantee for the new card, which I bought last week, is instantly expired
too - because the router is out of warranty and the warranty for all cards
is tied to the serial number of the device they are fitted in!

I've also found out that apparently there is a sack of security flaws in the
IOS I am running. If I was in USA I could get a free upgrade to correct
these, which would also fix my card problem by coincidence, but because I am
in the UK, the only thing Cisco will give me is a big bill!

Alec

Old December 1st 03, 08:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:15:33 -0000, "Alexander S. Wood"
wrote:

[...]

Item not of merchantable quality then? So reject the goods??

jay
Old December 2nd 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
shope

"Alexander S. Wood" wrote in message
Hi guys

Stupidly I bought a new interface card for my Cisco router, even though
buying a whole new router and flinging the Cisco in the bin would have

been
cheaper. This new card needs an upgrade of the IOS within the router and
that does not come with the card.

Does anyone know where I can get IOS 12.2.2 or later from, other than

Cisco.

any cisco distie or reseller. The official partner list is on the cisco web
site. Or try the

Cisco will not supply it unless I pay a grand or so and buy a tech support
contract. Apparently, under Cisco's outrageous tech support policy, the
guarantee for the new card, which I bought last week, is instantly expired
too - because the router is out of warranty and the warranty for all cards
is tied to the serial number of the device they are fitted in!

You can always purchase a new copy of IOS - this wont help much if it has a
full set of protocols using enterprise Plus as that IOS is not cheap - but
if all you need is baseline IP, it lists at $15 or so for the low end
routers like 2610.

I've also found out that apparently there is a sack of security flaws in

the
IOS I am running. If I was in USA I could get a free upgrade to correct
these, which would also fix my card problem by coincidence, but because I

am
in the UK, the only thing Cisco will give me is a big bill!

Cisco released any IOS patched versions needed for a critical vulnerability
FOC - i got lumbered with some deployments. See this for i example back in
April, which explicitly states that they will provide upgrades to anyone,
under contract or not:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...800b139d.shtml

Before you upgrade (or when you talk to Cisco TAC) check the memory and
flash size of the router.

Alec

--
Regards

Old December 2nd 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

[...]

I've had a rummage around at work and found a CD for Cisco IOS 12.2(2)B7
it contains a single 'BIN' file (5.6 Mb). Not sure what router it came
with is this what you are after?

Graham