NT4 w/station to 2000 Pro LAN help please?

Old December 1st 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Wilson

Default NT4 w/station to 2000 Pro LAN help please?

I am pretty computer illiterate, so please bear with me

I have had 2 NT4 workstation PC's networked together at home using
Netbui. One of the PC's connects to the `net via an internal PCI ISDN
card. All worked fine. I have now built a "new" PC with Windows 2000 Pro
on it. I had to install Netbui as a protocol and now it too connects fine
to the NT4 machine intend keeping. However, I belive Netbui is not the
fastest method of transferring files? Maybe I should be using this
frightening TCP/IP stuff?

Is there an idiot proof guide anywhere as to exact steps to achieve this?
I would later like to add the facility for the NT4 machine to also
connect to the `net, via the ISDN card in the 2000 machine. Will that too
be possible? For now I have an ISDN card in both and if I need the NT4
machine to connect I instigate a separate dial up.

Finally, although the very modern m/board in the 2000 machine (Asus
A7N8X) has decent on board NVidia networking support, the NT4 machine has
a 12 year old 10m/bits card with a co-ax and a network cable socket on
it. I am using the cable socket to a small hub, but am I right in
thinking I should invest in a better network card for it? What do people
recommend?

Thanks.

--

Best Regards,
Chris.
Old December 1st 03, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bruce

Chris Wilson wrote in message t...
[...]

Actually due it's it's low overhead NetBEUI is normally faster for
data transfer than TCP/IP. In practice though the transfer rate is far
more to do with your network hardware than the protocol or software.

However, if you wanted to access the Internet on all the computers you
will need to install the TCP/IP protocol on each computer.

As for your second question, there is a way to allow you to have just
one PC connected to the Internet (via ISDN) and allow the 2 other PCs
to share that connection. The technology is built into Win2000 and is
called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

It's not a very complex matter giving each PC an IP address and
enabling ICS but I don't really have time to describe it here.

Your last question on networking hardware, I would recommend you
replace your old network hardware (coax etc. probably 10base2) with
100BaseTX. You'll need an 8-port "network switch", 100BaseTX network
cards and Cat5 patch cables. They're not very expensive.

Thanks,

Bruce.
Old December 2nd 03, 11:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Wilson

In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks for a most comprehensive and helpful reply, I have bought a
100BaseTX card, and the other machine has decent on board LAN stuff. I'll
see how I get along, cheers!

--

Best Regards,
Chris.
Old December 2nd 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dexter

Chris,

i have been using tcp/ip at home networking windows pcs for years...
email me at (take out the NOSPAM) and
i'll help you out...

surprised to see you here, wassup... BaT not good enough ;-)

Dex