Packet redirection

Old December 1st 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dan

Default Packet redirection

I've got a small home network where all the PCs are just connected via a
hub. One of those PCs is connected to the internet (and is only used as an
internet server). The internet is shared using ICS. How do I get it so
that internet traffic coming through on a certain port to get routed
straight to another PC on the network? As a realworld example - if I want
to play Quake3 with a mate over the internet, and I want to host the game.
So my friend has to enter my IP address. Obviously, he's got to enter the
internet address - but that would go straight to my server, and my server
wouldn't know where to route the data to. Is there a quick way to resolve
this? Or do I have to buy a router?

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

Old December 1st 03, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:03:38 -0000, "Dan" wrote:

I've got a small home network where all the PCs are just connected via a
hub. One of those PCs is connected to the internet (and is only used as an
internet server). The internet is shared using ICS. How do I get it so
that internet traffic coming through on a certain port to get routed
straight to another PC on the network? As a realworld example - if I want
to play Quake3 with a mate over the internet, and I want to host the game.
So my friend has to enter my IP address. Obviously, he's got to enter the
internet address - but that would go straight to my server, and my server
wouldn't know where to route the data to. Is there a quick way to resolve
this? Or do I have to buy a router?

Thanks for any help,
Dan.

You need to know which Ports the Quake3 server uses and then configure the ICS
settings on your computer running the ICS to forward the revelant ports to the
PC running the server.

If you go to `network connections/your internet
connection/properties/advancd/settings' and then you use the ADD command on
the `services' screen

I haven't done it myself, but that's where you would configure ICS to forward
ports.

Clansman