Netgear WG602 flaky operation? WG511?

Old December 1st 03, 04:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

Default Netgear WG602 flaky operation? WG511?

I have a network connected to a Netgear WG602 WAP working with a WG511
PCI card in a laptop. The system's been workingish for some time but
never really satisfactorily. I can't get the laptop to work with DNS
when the WAP has an IP issued by DHCP, so it's got a static IP. Now
networking has become flaky at NetBEUI level, another Windows PC can see
the laptop on the wireless n/w but the laptop can't see the desk
machine. On doing some investigation an "arp -a" from the desktop
machine showed the MAC address for the WAP as having a different IP
address to what it is configured with (192.168.1.69 instead of
192.168.1.9), which seems a little bizarre.

Plugging a physical connection between the laptop and the network
everything works fine.

Driver for the 511 is v0.08.01.00 and 1.04.00 for the 602.

Anyone else having problems with this combination?
Anyone else got this combination working trouble free?
What s/w and driver versions are you on?

MTIA, if replying by email please use address in sig.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old December 2nd 03, 03:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Netgear = flaky.
Luckily my WG602 didn't work at all so I was able to return it !
Regards,
Martin

Old December 2nd 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Martin²
writes
Netgear = flaky.
Luckily my WG602 didn't work at all so I was able to return it !

OK thanks for the feedback

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old December 4th 03, 12:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
RobS

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Martin²
writes
Netgear = flaky.
Luckily my WG602 didn't work at all so I was able to return it !

OK thanks for the feedback

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Hi bof,

Your firmware/drivers are way out of date.

WG602 should be at V1.5.67 to support 802.11g and WG511 driver requires
upgrading as well.

My experience with Netgear has been different to Martin's. I'm using a
couple of laptops 1 XP & 1 '98 with a WG602 without problem. Small, stylish
and easy to set up.

Rob.

Old December 5th 03, 09:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , RobS
writes
Hi bof,

Your firmware/drivers are way out of date.

WG602 should be at V1.5.67 to support 802.11g and WG511 driver requires
upgrading as well.

My experience with Netgear has been different to Martin's. I'm using a
couple of laptops 1 XP & 1 '98 with a WG602 without problem. Small, stylish
and easy to set up.

Thanks Rob, having upgraded to the latest firmware/drivers, for both the
602 and 511, my immediate impression is that all the 'features' have
disappeared, and the system works as expected.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk