I need some help!

Old December 2nd 03, 03:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Louis AA

Default I need some help!

Have desktop with modem and has 10/100 base Ethernet LAN. Have laptop with
modem.
Laptop has 802.11b integrated wireless LAN and 10/100 base Ethernet LAN.
We will never go beyond the dial up connection.
I believe the laptop has the better or faster modem both 90 and 92,
Money is very tight.
What is the cheapest way to build a Local Area Network in the home.
If I used a router would it be best to get one in the router or use the desk
top and go wireless from the laptop to the router to the desktop?

What items will I need? Do I need to get a card for the laptop since it has
the 802.11b integrated?
I want to put the software on ONE unit and have access to the software and
files on both laptop and desktop.

Help me please?

Old December 2nd 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 05:55:53 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

V92 is only useful if your ISP supports it, and I'm not aware of any in
the UK that do.

Blueyonder/Telewest is now running V92

Clansman

Old December 2nd 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 02:03:47 GMT, "Louis AA"
wrote:

Have desktop with modem and has 10/100 base Ethernet LAN. Have laptop with
modem.
Laptop has 802.11b integrated wireless LAN and 10/100 base Ethernet LAN.
We will never go beyond the dial up connection.
I believe the laptop has the better or faster modem both 90 and 92,
Money is very tight.
What is the cheapest way to build a Local Area Network in the home.

If you are only using two computers then a simple 'crossover' wire is
the cheapest but you will have a wire dangling between both.

If the laptop has integrated 802.11b then you could get a USB wireless
adapter for your desktop (Provided it is windows OS), about 40ukp.

This would allow connection similar to the crossover wire but without
the wire.

If you live anywhere near Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire then
feel free to pop along to our club and see wired and WiFi in action
sharing a dialup connection.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals