quick mapped drives restore on 2k

Old December 2nd 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt

Default quick mapped drives restore on 2k

Hi

I have 3 computer which are networked on a wireless LAN via an AP, all
machines are running windows 2000, machine 1 holds all the shared info that
I use
on both machine 2 and 3 and is running 24/7, until recently I ran a wired
network with windows 98 machines and could quite easily restore mapped
drives on boot.

Now when log into machine 2 or 3 I get the error that the network drive
mapping could not be restored, I assume this is because the wireless card
hasn't yet loaded and secured a connection with the AP, (when the desktop
does appear I get the disconnected icon for a few second then it changes to
a connected icon).

I remembered that windows 98 had an option to do a 'quick' drive map option
where it wouldn't try to connect to any mapped drives until I tried
accessing it, Unfortunately I cant seem to find a similar option in windows
2000, has anyone seen this and anyone know a cure?

TIA

Matt

Old December 3rd 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:27:08 +0000, Matt wrote:

[...]

One method would be to create a batch file to make all your connections.
You could make a shortcut to it for easy access. This then means that you
control the connection process.

create a text file called CONNECT.BAT and use the NET command as follows:

NET USE X: \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME PASSWORD

That command would map the X: drive to the server share. Just input a
line as such for each mapped drive. When you click on the CONNECT.BAT
file it will perform the connections you require.

There are some tricks you could use to automate this process by putting
a shortcut to the batch file in the Startup folder. Have a play around
to see if this solution is acceptable first

Graham.