On board LAN speeds ASUS A7N8X ??

Old December 4th 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Wilson

Default On board LAN speeds ASUS A7N8X ??

I am using the NVidia LAN, with the 3 COM one turned off in the bios,
under W2000. Connecting via netbui to another PC running NT4. Other PC
has a 100BaseT card in it, replacing a 10 meg ne. WHen I first changed
the card the other day I could have sworn I was getting 100 meg sped.
Now the Asus boarded machine reports 10 megs on the local area
connection status on the bottom toolbar. Both are set to auto negotiate.
Any ideas please? I don't have a crossover cable, so connecting via a
small 5 port hub. Are hubs speed sensitive? All it says on the hub is
WSHOO5T

Thanks.
--
Best regards,
Chris.
Old December 4th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am using the NVidia LAN, with the 3 COM one turned off in the bios,
under W2000. Connecting via netbui to another PC running NT4. Other PC
has a 100BaseT card in it, replacing a 10 meg ne. WHen I first changed
the card the other day I could have sworn I was getting 100 meg sped.
Now the Asus boarded machine reports 10 megs on the local area
connection status on the bottom toolbar. Both are set to auto negotiate.
Any ideas please? I don't have a crossover cable, so connecting via a
small 5 port hub. Are hubs speed sensitive? All it says on the hub is
WSHOO5T

Chris,
I've found auto-negotiation to be unreliable on several NICs
over the years - try forcing one of them to 100 (I suggest the
one in the NT box).
HTH
--
Rob

Old December 4th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Rob Hemmings" wrote in message
"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am using the NVidia LAN, with the 3 COM one turned off in the bios,
under W2000. Connecting via netbui to another PC running NT4. Other PC
has a 100BaseT card in it, replacing a 10 meg ne. WHen I first changed
the card the other day I could have sworn I was getting 100 meg sped.
Now the Asus boarded machine reports 10 megs on the local area
connection status on the bottom toolbar. Both are set to auto negotiate.
Any ideas please? I don't have a crossover cable, so connecting via a
small 5 port hub. Are hubs speed sensitive? All it says on the hub is
WSHOO5T

Chris,
I've found auto-negotiation to be unreliable on several NICs
over the years - try forcing one of them to 100 (I suggest the
one in the NT box).

PS, the hub will indeed need to be 10/100 capable.
--
Rob