Logging site name instead of IP address

Old December 4th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

Default Logging site name instead of IP address

I have a Netgear DG834, how do I set it up to log the name of the site
instead of the IP address.
The IP address is of little use to the person who is looking for
inappropriate sites.

Cheers

Rob King

Old December 6th 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:56:11 +0000, Rob wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834, how do I set it up to log the name of the site
instead of the IP address.
The IP address is of little use to the person who is looking for
inappropriate sites.

Cheers

Rob King

Routers work at the IP address level, they have no idea about site names.
Although some routers will do IP to name resolution, but they need to
connect to the DNS each time, using bandwidth. They would also need much
more RAM to store this information.
The best bet is to run some packet sniffing/logging software on a PC
connected on the same network segment as the router or a PC with two
network cards, one connected to the router and the other to your internal
network that can act as a firewall/proxy. This can also prevent access to
undesired sites/services.

Graham.

Old December 8th 03, 11:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

Graham,
The DG814 used to do all of this anyway, so Netgear are looking into it for
me at the moment.
Another PC just for logging sites visited would a bit overkill if it can be
done in one small box.
May be able to revert back to the DG814 once they have sorted the keyword
filtering issue.

Cheers

news