Wireless Network Advice

Old December 5th 03, 07:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Oldroyd

Default Wireless Network Advice

Ok i currently have broadband my main pc which is linked in a peer to peer
arrangement with an RJ45 crossover cable to a second pc which shares the
network connection using the windows built in sharing facility. The pcs also
have access to each others drives and the printer attached to the master pc.

I have now been given a laptop from work and would like to be able to surf
the net and access the other pcs wirelessly. My broadband modem is USB but
it does have an RJ45 port on it.

My question is what is the easiest way to do this and the cheapest, do i
have to set all the pcs onto the wireless network, can i keep the peer to
peer setup and just add my laptop wirelessly, any advice and product
reccomendations would be excellent

Thanks guys in advance

Chris

Old December 5th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Your set up is similar to mine.

Two PCs - one connected to USB ADSL modem, using Win XP ICS and DHCP.

I have 2 laptops to fit into the equation. I did this...

Got cheap 8 port switch (coulda been fewer ports, I just got a good
second hand deal).

Connected two PCs to the switch with straight cables. Checked ICS
still worked.

Got a Belkin Wireless Access Point. Connected by straight cables to
the Switch. Set up the config software on the PC with modem.

Got a Belkin wireless PC card. Set the values I had config'ed into
the WAP. Other laptop has Centrino so already has wireless
networking.

Set laptops to use main PC as their gateway.

All works fine.

Cost - a switch, a WAP, a wireless card and lots of cable.....well
under £100.

jay