Modular wall port help, please

Old December 7th 03, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Anderton

Default Modular wall port help, please

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me here.

I've decided to take the plunge and put in a home network. Obviously
as I'm going to be going through all the hassle of driling holes in
the wall etc. I'd like the result to be as flexible as possible and
I'd therefore like to build more than just a straightforward cat5
network.

What I'd like to have is a cat5/video/audio network but to keep things
neat I'd like to have all the outputs in a single wall port.

I've found a few suppliers who do modular wall ports but they only
seem to list data outputs, not video or audio.

Ideally what I'm after is a single port with six to eight modular
ouputs covering everything from basic co-ax through cat5 to any other
kind of connector you can think of.

Does anyone know if what I am looking for exists or am I being too
optimistic ?

Cheers,

John
Old December 7th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 07 Dec
2003 21:39:40 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk John Anderton
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I've found a few suppliers who do modular wall ports but they only
seem to list data outputs, not video or audio.

Have you tried B&Q?

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old December 8th 03, 08:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:39:40 GMT, John Anderton
wrote:

Does anyone know if what I am looking for exists or am I being too
optimistic ?

Not seen one which will fit alongside a Cat5 outlet...

Have you considered wiring a second Cat5 outlet at each point? You
then have 8 spare wires that you can dedicate how you choose, using
your own wiring loom of your choice of connectors terminating in an
RJ45 at each end.

jay
Old December 8th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Anderton

wrote:

Does anyone know if what I am looking for exists or am I being too
optimistic ?

Not seen one which will fit alongside a Cat5 outlet...

Have you considered wiring a second Cat5 outlet at each point? You
then have 8 spare wires that you can dedicate how you choose, using
your own wiring loom of your choice of connectors terminating in an
RJ45 at each end.

Thanks for tip, but after a day searching the web I've found this site
(http://www.clipsal.co.uk/) which does up to five(!) outlets of mixed
varieties in a single gang socket. The only downside is that the cat5
outlets don't have covers which may be a problem (my house is noted
for it's generation of dust and dirt !)

Cheers,

John
Old December 8th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

Any chnace of the exact page reference for what you want on the site. It
sounds quite interesting

Old December 8th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Anderton

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:21:10 -0000, "Richard Haygreen"
wrote:

"John Anderton" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for tip, but after a day searching the web I've found this site
(http://www.clipsal.co.uk/) which does up to five(!) outlets of mixed
varieties in a single gang socket. The only downside is that the cat5
outlets don't have covers which may be a problem (my house is noted
for it's generation of dust and dirt !)

Any chnace of the exact page reference for what you want on the site. It
sounds quite interesting

This (http://www.clipsal.co.uk/Catalogue/Mechanisms.pdf) catalogue
shows the outlets which can be put in the sockets listed in the E
series, E200 series and 56 series catalogues.

The other thng that concerns me is that having five cables coming into
a single gang socket is going to make things a bit tight.

I've also not figured out if I can buy direct from this site or not,
yet,

Cheers,

John
Old December 9th 03, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

now i see what you are after could you not just buy the blank plates and
make them yourself. Would probably be cheaper and you could get just what
you want. As am alternative you can buy gang sockets with dust covered rj45
connections. You could start with that and add extras to the gang plate as
they are needed.

Old December 9th 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Anderton

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:40:51 -0000, "Richard Haygreen"
wrote:

now i see what you are after could you not just buy the blank plates and
make them yourself. Would probably be cheaper and you could get just what
you want. As am alternative you can buy gang sockets with dust covered rj45
connections. You could start with that and add extras to the gang plate as
they are needed.

I could do but I'm a little ham-fisted so the result may not look that
professional !

Cheers,

John