network print server query.

Old December 8th 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave T

Default network print server query.

I have a V basic wireless network at home.

Desktop PC (W98SE) connected with Cat 5 to Draytek 2600 WE ADSL Modem /
Router / Wireless Gizmo.

My wife has a laptop (Win XP HE) with the wifi card to use elsewhere in
the house. At present I have the printer (Lexmark 5700 in shared mode)
running from the desktop PC and so to print from the laptop I have to
boot up the desktop PC, a pain in the bum if one is elsewhere in the
house and can't be bothered to climb the stairs.

I was considering getting a HP Jet Direct EX plus (they go for about
20-30 quid on ebay) and pluggin it into one of the other LAN ports on
the router, and connecting the printer to this.

Anone got any idea whether this would work or am I wasting my time?

I was considering swapping the Lexmark for a cheap laser - Samsung 1210
from Dabs seems quite reasonable, might this work with the jetdirect?

Also would I have to configure the network differently? the laptop
wants to know whether to be in infrastructure mode on the wifi or ad-hoc
mode, seems to make no difference as far as I can see in terms of the
connection.

Confused and my head hurts...

to reply by email remove the fish

Thanks

Dave

Old December 10th 03, 08:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:19:17 +0000, Dave T wrote:

[...]

All is fine, I have done exactly the same thing. I have two printers HP
Laserjet 6p and HP Deskjet 895 both plugged into a HP 500X print server.
You obviously have to make sure that the print server has the right
interfaces, mine has 3 parallel, some have USB and some have a mixture of
both. You can connect any printer to them.

You will need some additional software to allow the WIN98 PC to print
directly to the print server, WinXP can do this out of the box. It is not
ideal to print directly to the print server if you make heavy use of the
printer. This is because the print server can only print from one PC at
once. If a second PC tries to print at the same time the print server will
block it, and the second PC will report an error. But for light use this
will rarely happen.

Your wireless PC behaves just like a wired PC on your network, no
configuration changes need to be made. The correct mode for your wireless
laptop is infrastructure mode. This allows a single connection between the
laptop and the wireless access point. Ad-hoc will also make this
connection, that's why it works, but it will also connect to any other
wireless computer (within range).

Graham.

Old December 10th 03, 09:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave T

[...]

Many thanks for the info.

fingers crossed that I can get it to work!

Regards

Dave

Old December 10th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MoJo JoJo

you can make the PC that has the printer connected to it a print server. You
need to install Unix Print Sertvice, which will basically install the LPD (Line
Printer Daemon)...,