My network Places

Old December 8th 03, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David W Allen

Default My network Places

I have just set up an ad hoc home wireless network, but find that "my
Network Places" is missing from Windows Explorer in my desktop machine.
As a result, it is somewhat long winded having to connect to my laptop,
the other machine in the network.

Is there any way of retrieving this missing section?
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

Old December 8th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:53:29 +0000, David W Allen wrote:

I have just set up an ad hoc home wireless network, but find that "my
Network Places" is missing from Windows Explorer in my desktop machine. As
a result, it is somewhat long winded having to connect to my laptop, the
other machine in the network.

Is there any way of retrieving this missing section?

I think what you mean is, there is no Network Neighbourhood.
Any you're right there isn't one in Windows XP. But you can create a
shortcut that will behave like the old Network Neighbourhood.

1. Open 'My Computer'

2. Click 'My Network Places' (on the left under 'Other Places')

3. Click 'View Workgroup Computers' (on the left under 'Network Tasks')

4. Click the 'Up Folder' icon on the top toolbar

5. Drag the workgroup icon onto the desktop with thr right mouse button to
create a shortcut.

And there you have it. One olde style Network Neighbourhood.

Graham.

Old December 8th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David W Allen

In message , Graham
writes
[...]

Graham - your part 2 is where the problem lies. I do not have "My
Network Places" on the left under "Other Places"

Where, I wonder, has it gone?

Old December 9th 03, 07:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

1. Open 'My Computer'

2. Click 'My Network Places' (on the left under 'Other Places')

3. Click 'View Workgroup Computers' (on the left under 'Network Tasks')

4. Click the 'Up Folder' icon on the top toolbar

5. Drag the workgroup icon onto the desktop with thr right mouse button
to create a shortcut.

And there you have it. One olde style Network Neighbourhood.

Graham.

Graham - your part 2 is where the problem lies. I do not have "My Network
Places" on the left under "Other Places"

Where, I wonder, has it gone?

Do you actually have any shared drives on your network. My Network Places
is automatic. It should populate itself, eventually. It may then appear.

Graham

Old December 9th 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Adding it to the desktop might solve this. Right click on desktop -
Properties. Desktop tab, click "Customize Desktop" and add the My Network
Places Icon.

G'luck.
"David W Allen" wrote in message
I have just set up an ad hoc home wireless network, but find that "my
Network Places" is missing from Windows Explorer in my desktop machine.
As a result, it is somewhat long winded having to connect to my laptop,
the other machine in the network.

Is there any way of retrieving this missing section?
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk
Outgoing mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2003

---

Old December 9th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David W Allen

In message m, Graham
writes

1. Open 'My Computer'

2. Click 'My Network Places' (on the left under 'Other Places')

3. Click 'View Workgroup Computers' (on the left under 'Network Tasks')

4. Click the 'Up Folder' icon on the top toolbar

5. Drag the workgroup icon onto the desktop with thr right mouse button
to create a shortcut.

And there you have it. One olde style Network Neighbourhood.

Graham.

Graham - your part 2 is where the problem lies. I do not have "My Network
Places" on the left under "Other Places"

Where, I wonder, has it gone?

Do you actually have any shared drives on your network. My Network Places
is automatic. It should populate itself, eventually. It may then appear.

Graham

No - all I have is a desktop and a laptop. The laptop has the "My
Network Places" in Windows Explorer and a desktop icon. In order to view
the two machines on my desktop, I have to open Control Panel/Network
Connections and then My Network Places. However, I now have been able to
put a shortcut on the desktop by using your original suggestion via the
Control panel route.

Following George's post, I have now retrieved the network desktop icon
(thanks George), but still nothing in Windows Explorer.