Help with home networking and zone alarm firewall

Old December 9th 03, 01:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cailean

Default Help with home networking and zone alarm firewall

Hi.

I have just set up my two computers working through a netgear RP614 router.
And I have managed to get them both working on the internet with out any
problems.

But when I try to connect the two PCs together (sharing a folder on one of
them) I can only get it to work if I turn off the firewall on both PC's

My main PC is WinXP Home and the 2nd PC is Win 98

I use Zone Alarm as my firewall software. Is there some config I need to
change in Zone alarm to make it work ? And if so what is it ?

Thanks

Old December 9th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Seb

i had the same problem you just have to change someone the options, change
internet and trusted zone settings to medium, should work if not try
changing some of the custom options...

Regards,
Seb

Old December 9th 03, 05:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tom Buchanan

"Seb" wrote in message
i had the same problem you just have to change someone the options, change
internet and trusted zone settings to medium, should work if not try
changing some of the custom options...

Regards,
Seb

I added the other PC to the trusted zone, had to do that on both PC's works
perfectly well. I also can print from upstairs PC to printer connected to
downstairs PC.

Tom Buchanan

Old December 9th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

Set up your a trusted zone as your network. Supply to it the ip address used
by the two machines. At the moment zone alarm does not trust those IP
address so will not allow access from them.

Open Zone Alarm
Select firewall from left hand side
Bottom right select add
Give it a name (LAN would be good)
supply an IP range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.255 (these are reserved for
local networks so it is safe to do this
Select OK

Any problems let me know