Router Bandwidth Sharing ?

Old December 9th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wolfy

Default Router Bandwidth Sharing ?

I have a D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router connected to my 1MB
Broadband Modem. The router is also connected to two PCs, call them PC1 and
PC2. When PC2 is downloading music / video and playing on-line games, PC1's
net performance is pretty poor. Also if PC1 sends an e-mail with a big
attachment (2Mb), then PC2's net performance degrades. I thought that
routers gave equal bandwidth to each user, but my experience is not the
case. Is there any settings on the router or the PCs which could result in
a fairer split of resources. By the way, PC1 uses Norton Anti Virus and
Norton Internet Security and PC2 uses NAV and Zone Alarm.

TIA

Ian

Old December 9th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

"Wolfy" wrote in message
I have a D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router connected to my 1MB
Broadband Modem. The router is also connected to two PCs, call them PC1

and
PC2. When PC2 is downloading music / video and playing on-line games,

PC1's
net performance is pretty poor. Also if PC1 sends an e-mail with a big
attachment (2Mb), then PC2's net performance degrades. I thought that
routers gave equal bandwidth to each user, but my experience is not the
case. Is there any settings on the router or the PCs which could result

in
a fairer split of resources. By the way, PC1 uses Norton Anti Virus and
Norton Internet Security and PC2 uses NAV and Zone Alarm.

TIA

Ian

No. Not unless it has QoS or traffic shaping in it.

What you might want to do is download NetLimiter from www.netlimiter.com.
With Netlimiter, you can set programs bandwidth allowance as they are used.

So for example, I could open up OE and Netlimiter will automatically detect
it. I could then set the maximum upload or download to whatever I want...
e.g. 50k.sec down and say 10k/sec up

It's not the most versatile but it works a treat

Old December 10th 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:48:18 +0000, Wolfy wrote:

I have a D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router connected to my 1MB
Broadband Modem. The router is also connected to two PCs, call them PC1
and PC2. When PC2 is downloading music / video and playing on-line games,
PC1's net performance is pretty poor. Also if PC1 sends an e-mail with a
big attachment (2Mb), then PC2's net performance degrades. I thought that
routers gave equal bandwidth to each user, but my experience is not the
case. Is there any settings on the router or the PCs which could result
in a fairer split of resources. By the way, PC1 uses Norton Anti Virus
and Norton Internet Security and PC2 uses NAV and Zone Alarm.

TIA

Ian

Are both PC1 and PC2 using the router directly. You haven't got ICS
(Internet Connection Sharing) enabled on PC1. The default gateway setting
on both PC's needs to be set to the router's IP address.

The router should roughly share available bandwidth equally, Try
downloading a large file to both PC's from the same location at the same
time. It should arrive at both PC's more or less simultaneously.

Graham

Old December 12th 03, 12:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wolfy

"Graham" wrote in message
news
[...]

Graham:
I am not sure which addresses to put where in the properties of the NIC on
my PCs. Below is a cut from the WAN status page of the router, and below
that is the LAN status page.

System Status
Item WAN Status Sidenote
Remaining Lease Time 20:26:09
IP Address 82.32.30.156
Subnet Mask 255.255.248.0
Gateway 82.32.24.1
Domain Name Server 62.31.176.39, 194.117.134.19
Firmware version 1.62 build 2
MAC Address 00-90-27-D1-89-8E

LAN Settings
Item Setting
LAN IP Address
DHCP Server Enabled Disabled
IP Pool Starting Address
IP Pool Ending Address
Domain Name

The NIC Properties are currently set to 'automatically detect', but for
manual settings it needs the following for which I could guess at the
settings.

IP Address 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway 82.32.24.1

Prefered DNS Server 62.31.176.39
Alternate DNS Server 194.117.134.19

Would these settings be correct ?

Ian

Old December 12th 03, 12:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wolfy

"Wolfy" wrote in message

"Graham" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sorry... The copy of the screen did not appear on the last post. The other
details a
LAN IP Address 192.168.0.1

Ian

Old December 14th 03, 12:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:53:08 +0000, Wolfy wrote:

"Wolfy" wrote in message

"Graham" wrote in message
news
[...]

All looks fine there. You need to look at PC2's network settings and make
sure the default gateway is set to 192.168.0.1. That means it is
connecting directly to the router for internet access and not via PC1.

Graham

Old January 4th 04, 12:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
public mike

Hi Ian,

I am also looking at this problems to limit my son's downloading of
'knitting patterns'. One thing I am looking at is the Linksys BEFSR81
router which has some quality of service prioritisation features - might be
worth a look at. What modem are you using with the Router as I am also
looking for a stand-alone modem unit?

Kind regards, Mike