ADSL - Slow DialUp Connection

Old December 11th 03, 10:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default ADSL - Slow DialUp Connection

I've recently gone broadband, I've got four extension sockets so
purchased four splitters.

The splitters were bought cheaply from a computer warehouse and cost
under 10ukp for all four.

Strangely two of my phones are working fine without a splitter
connected to them however, I still need to use DialUp on occasions and
connecting through a splitter I am getting connection rates of about
26kbps rather that the previous 44kbps prior to ADSL activation.

Is this normal or reflective of my cheap splitters.

Geoff Lane

Old December 11th 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

In article , "Geoff
Lane" says...
I've recently gone broadband, I've got four extension sockets
so purchased four splitters.

The splitters were bought cheaply from a computer warehouse and
cost under 10ukp for all four.

Strangely two of my phones are working fine without a splitter
connected to them however, I still need to use DialUp on
occasions and connecting through a splitter I am getting
connection rates of about 26kbps rather that the previous
44kbps prior to ADSL activation.

Is this normal or reflective of my cheap splitters.

Given the way that microfilters work I expect that's normal,
although I couldn't find bandwidth specifications in a quick
Google search on the subject.

I have just done a test on a non-ADSL phone line. The result was
that the splitter made no difference whatsoever - 46.6 kbps dial-up
with or without. The splitter I tried was also a cheapy - a socket-
doubler style device with the brand name "Tehkal". It could still
be your particular make of splitter that filters too sharply, of
course. Or that mine doesn't filter at all :-)

Suggest you narrow it down by disconnecting everything from all
phone sockets and try dial-up on its own. Then connect it via a
splitter and test again. Then connect in your ADSL modem as well
and retest. Then add the other phone handsets one at a time.

--
BRG
===
Old December 11th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:55:40 GMT, BRG wrote:

I've recently gone broadband, I've got four extension sockets
so purchased four splitters.

I still need to use DialUp on
occasions and connecting through a splitter I am getting
connection rates of about 26kbps rather that the previous
44kbps prior to ADSL activation.

Suggest you narrow it down by disconnecting everything from all
phone sockets and try dial-up on its own. Then connect it via a
splitter and test again. Then connect in your ADSL modem as well
and retest. Then add the other phone handsets one at a time.

Thanks for the pointers, the speed is not a great issue as it is
seldom I'm going to have to use it but I will certainly try out what
you have suggested.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

Old December 11th 03, 01:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "BRG"
says...
Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

In article , "Geoff
Lane"
says...
[...]

I wonder if having four splitters effectively connected in parallel is
having a cumulative effect? I'd have thought it would be better to have
a single microfilter at a central point, with a dedicated connection for
the ADSL.
Old December 11th 03, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

In article , "BRG"
says...
Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

In article ,
"Geoff Lane"
says...
[...]

I haven't heard of that being a problem. Using a single filter at
the master socket is a recognised wiring strategy, but it
constrains where you can locate your ADSL modem.

One of my customers had background hiss on his phones even though
they were (allegedly) all connected via splitters. We double-
checked and found another phone in a bedroom without a splitter,
and that was the source of the problem. It appears that an
unfiltered phone can cause noise at audio frequencies. And because
the noise is at audio frequencies, the presence of splitters [which
are actually a low-pass filter] elsewhere won't help one iota.

So, one unfiltered (or faultily-filtered) phone can affect all of
the rest. Hence my step-by-step methodology for tracking down the
culprit.

--
BRG
===
Old December 11th 03, 02:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , BRG
writes

I have just done a test on a non-ADSL phone line. The result was
that the splitter made no difference whatsoever - 46.6 kbps dial-up
with or without. The splitter I tried was also a cheapy - a socket-
doubler style device with the brand name "Tehkal". It could still
be your particular make of splitter that filters too sharply, of
course. Or that mine doesn't filter at all :-)

I've had similar problems with my phones. I can hear the ADSL modem
retraining when I use the analogue phone, I would expect that to affect
a modem on the same line.

--
Bernard Peek

Old December 11th 03, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

The loss of speed is because have your phone line is now adsl, in effect
reducing your bandwith by half. This is fine for voice, but will see a
slower data speed, around 26kbps is about right.

Old December 11th 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Richard Haygreen" wrote in
:

The loss of speed is because have your phone line is now adsl,
in effect reducing your bandwith by half. This is fine for
voice, but will see a slower data speed, around 26kbps is about
right.

Eh?

--
BRG