Network help needed

Old December 11th 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jazzer

Default Network help needed

Hi im looking to set up a network between a desktop pc downstairs and a
laptop
upstairs. The main purpose of this is to enable broadband to be used on both
machines. I have ADSL broadband with 2 speedtouch USB modems, both pc and
laptop have ethernet cards, my budget is around 50 pounds
. I tried to have the two modems on the line but it didnt work even
when one wasnt being used as such I was directed here to help with a network
solution. I havent got much idea about
networking so any advice is greatly appreciated

Jazzer

Old December 11th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"Jazzer" wrote in message
Hi im looking to set up a network between a desktop pc downstairs and a
laptop
upstairs. The main purpose of this is to enable broadband to be used on

both
machines. I have ADSL broadband with 2 speedtouch USB modems, both pc and
laptop have ethernet cards, my budget is around 50 pounds

1. Wired solution - you can run ethernet cabling between the two machines
(maybe with a hub in between) - though this means wiring all over the
place - between the 2 network cards you have in place
2. Wireless solution: a) Either a new wireless ADSL router + a wireless PC
Card for the laptop or b) a PC card for the laptop + a wireless USB/PCI for
the desktop

Whichever you choose you can sell 1 USB modem.
If you choose 2a you can sell the 2nd one as well
If you choose 1 or 2b you will need to keep the desktop connected to the
internet to use the laptop

or you can buy a wired router in addition to 1, in which case you will get
rid of both USB modems and be able to use the computers independently -
though you will still have all that cabling..

Sorry, there are a lot of options!

If you indicate your prefered ones someone can price it up for you..

Is sharing internet access the only objective?

Regards
Sunil