Home Wiring

Old December 12th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Sinclair

Default Home Wiring

Hi - I'm having the loft converted in the New Year and some building work
done so I thought I'd grab some of the new space to get the PC stuff out of
the way and into the loft. It seems like a golden opportunity to lay the
network out properly with proper cable runs and network sockets on the wall
etc. I have a switch (24 port) which I guess the sockets on the wall
connect to - but how ?

Can anyone point me at a suitable resource for learning how to do this sort
of thing - or is a it a major undertaking best left to a pro ? Building
plans are still changeable so I thought I'd run some cable to downstairs
bedrooms and put some network sockets in there too. I envisage something
like you find in offices with mains and network cables neatly tucked away
behind conduit on the wall and network ports strategically positioned.

Anyone done this themselves and care to share suggestions etc. At present
it's a simple peer to peer network with everything connected to the switch
plus a WAP on the switch that supports a laptop - it's a real eyesore.

I saw some networking kit in B&Q, seemed relevant but not sure what to do
with it all.

Cheers for any views

Steve

Old December 13th 03, 01:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Sinclair

Many thanks - I'd seen patch panels but wasn't too sure how it all worked,
seems much neater.

Old December 13th 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Trying to be as non-technical as possible...

At each place where you will (may) have a computer you need an outlet
(one of those boxes like big phone points).

You run the wire from each of these to a central point - it needn't be
in the loft itself but could be more central eg understair cupboard if
it makes the wiring runs easier.

Where the wire runs come together you buy a "patch panel" (which is a
strip of several outlets in modular form) and connect the other ends
of the outlet wires..

From each patch panel port you run a patch lead to your switch. From
each outlet you run a patch lead to a network card in each computer.

For your WAP you could either have an outlet near where you want to
put it (best idea, make sure there are power sockets within reach) or
you could connect it directly to the switch by patch lead (if the
switch is central in the area of required coverage).

Having peer to peer or client/server makes no real difference to the
wiring - you are building a "star" topology and the server (if any)
can happily sit on any arm of the wiring start you build.

It is very easy to do provided you treat the cable itself with a bit
of respect (don't kink it, pull it hard or tight bend it, but keep it
away from power lines), you use a proper tool for inserting the wires
into the modular connections (not the el crapo plastic ones), and you
plan and label each wire run. It is also time consuming which is why
people often get someone to do it for them!

The fun starts when you find it doesn't work (usually a wire is
insecure or crossed somewhere) - hunting down snags is hard work
without equipment, so take time and care with each individual wire as
you go.

B&Q stuff is reasonable value - Maplin do similar stuff cheaper, and
Screwfix Direct are even cheaper. They also sell patch panels.

Email me if you want more info.

cheers,

jay

Old December 19th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bonzo

Steve Sinclair wrote:

Many thanks - I'd seen patch panels but wasn't too sure how it all worked,
seems much neater.

The kits from B&Q/Maplin/Screwfix have pretty good instructions in
the box.