Wireless Networking

Old December 12th 03, 10:49 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Mcploppy

Default Wireless Networking

Hi all,

I have 3 PC's, 2 are in the same room, they are connected together using an
Ethernet hub, 1 machine has a Broadband USB modem, this connection is
shared. The 3rd PC is in another room., and is not connected (yet) to either
machine.

I would like to wireless network the machine with ICS enabled to the 3rd
machine.

Can this be succesfully achieved with a Wireless PCI Adaptor in the machine
with ICS and the 3rd machine.

If so would this card (
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=24P0 ) do the trick.?

TIA

--
McPloppy

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

Old December 13th 03, 09:19 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Chuck

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:49:15 -0000, "Mcploppy "
wrote:

Hi all,

I have 3 PC's, 2 are in the same room, they are connected together using an
Ethernet hub, 1 machine has a Broadband USB modem, this connection is
shared. The 3rd PC is in another room., and is not connected (yet) to either
machine.

I would like to wireless network the machine with ICS enabled to the 3rd
machine.

Can this be succesfully achieved with a Wireless PCI Adaptor in the machine
with ICS and the 3rd machine.

If so would this card (
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=24P0 ) do the trick.?

TIA

In ad-hoc mode (card to card without a WAP) you will be able to
connect computer #1 (the computer with ICS) and computer #3. You will
be able to provide internet connectivity easily to computer #3.

File sharing between computer #2 (the computer without ICS) and
computer 3 (the computer in the other room) will not be as simple
unfortunately. You'll have to manually setup static routes in
computers #2 and #3 so they can communicate with each other, if you so
desire.

And as always remember that 802.11b networks are not secure, so don't
keep any important secrets on any one of the 3 computers.

Cheers,

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
Old December 13th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Not tried exactly that set up but my gut feeling is "eek".

There is no problem running multiple network cards on one PC, I am
just not certain how ICS will handle your situation. ICS is intended
for fairly "lightweight" connection sharing.

Personally I would buy a WAP and wireless card rather than two
wireless cards because I *know* this will work with ICS and there is
scope for adding to your network if you needed to.

You'd just connect the WAP to your existing hub, stick the card in the
3rd machine, and configure the WAP/card settings.

Your suggested set up might work, but may require different internet
sharing software...which can be expensive.

The card you suggest would work fine. There are others that are
slightly cheaper (eg Belkin) but just as good.

Out of interest, why wireless for a desktop machine? You are likely
to get a better connection, have better security and experience fewer
setting up headaches for much less money if you ran a single extra
cable )

jay
Old December 13th 03, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mcploppy

Jay bashed at the keyboard and said:
[...]

Wireless...... because I dont want to run cable through the house.....
Anyway went out and bought Belkin WAP and Wireless Network card.... plonked
them all in perfect........

:-)

Old December 13th 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:54:14 -0000, "Mcploppy "
wrote:

Wireless...... because I dont want to run cable through the house.....

Fair enuff )

Anyway went out and bought Belkin WAP and Wireless Network card.... plonked
them all in perfect........

Luvvley jubbly - make sure you set the encryption, change the password
for the wap from the defaults, change the IDs and don't accept "any"
as a connection.....

jay
Old December 13th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mcploppy

wrote:

Wireless...... because I dont want to run cable through the
house.....

Fair enuff )

Anyway went out and bought Belkin WAP and Wireless Network card....
plonked them all in perfect........

Luvvley jubbly - make sure you set the encryption, change the password
for the wap from the defaults, change the IDs and don't accept "any"
as a connection.....

jay

Yep all done and working like a treat......The user manual and web setup is
brilliant...really easy to use.... and understand