Peer-to-Peer question

Old December 13th 03, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Allan Young

Default Peer-to-Peer question

OK, heres the story..... I've currently got three Windows 2000 systems in
the hosue all linked through DLink wireless PCI cards - works fine, shares
the cable modem connection for Internet access etc - all set to ad-hoc
(peer-to-peer).

What I want to do is include a Linux box into the network - but not wireless
as I can't seem to find a wireless card with Linux drivers. How can I do
it? There must be a way, I just can't think of it! Got a feeling I'll need
a cross-over cable in there somewhere!

Thanks in advance

Old December 13th 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

There are a few WLAN cards that are supported by Linux. Check out
LinuxQuestions.org's HCL (hardware compatability list) and browse the forums
there.

The way to do it would be to stick a PCI wired network card in the linux box
and in one of the W2k machines and stick a crossover cable in between the
two.

The BETTER way to do it (better performance, better expandability) is to
shell out a bit for a wireless hub/switch/router. Can get some
cheap-but-working ones for about 50. Take a gander around www.ebuyer.co.uk

Good luck

"Allan Young" wrote in message
OK, heres the story..... I've currently got three Windows 2000 systems in
the hosue all linked through DLink wireless PCI cards - works fine, shares
the cable modem connection for Internet access etc - all set to ad-hoc
(peer-to-peer).

What I want to do is include a Linux box into the network - but not

wireless
as I can't seem to find a wireless card with Linux drivers. How can I do
it? There must be a way, I just can't think of it! Got a feeling I'll

need
a cross-over cable in there somewhere!

Thanks in advance

---

Old December 13th 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Allan
Young" says...
OK, heres the story..... I've currently got three Windows 2000 systems in
the hosue all linked through DLink wireless PCI cards - works fine, shares
the cable modem connection for Internet access etc - all set to ad-hoc
(peer-to-peer).

What I want to do is include a Linux box into the network - but not wireless
as I can't seem to find a wireless card with Linux drivers.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...stion=General%
20Wireless

or http://tinyurl.com/z2lh

How can I do
it? There must be a way, I just can't think of it! Got a feeling I'll need
a cross-over cable in there somewhere!

Crossover cable and a bridge in software on the W2K machine - but AFAIK
W2K (unlike WXP) doesn't provide bridging so you'll have to source a
third-party software solution if you want to go down that route.
Old December 13th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:12:12 -0000, "Allan Young"
wrote:

OK, heres the story..... I've currently got three Windows 2000 systems in
the hosue all linked through DLink wireless PCI cards - works fine, shares
the cable modem connection for Internet access etc - all set to ad-hoc
(peer-to-peer).

What I want to do is include a Linux box into the network - but not wireless
as I can't seem to find a wireless card with Linux drivers. How can I do
it? There must be a way, I just can't think of it! Got a feeling I'll need
a cross-over cable in there somewhere!

Ordinary network card in the PC with wireless and cable modem;
ordinary network card in the linux box; crossover cable between. The
PC will happily use the Wireless card and Wired card.

You'll need to set the gateway on the linux box to the IP address of
the PC with modem.

jay
Old December 18th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bonzo

wrote:

OK, heres the story..... I've currently got three Windows 2000 systems in
the hosue all linked through DLink wireless PCI cards - works fine, shares
the cable modem connection for Internet access etc - all set to ad-hoc
(peer-to-peer).

What I want to do is include a Linux box into the network - but not wireless
as I can't seem to find a wireless card with Linux drivers. How can I do
it? There must be a way, I just can't think of it! Got a feeling I'll need
a cross-over cable in there somewhere!

Ordinary network card in the PC with wireless and cable modem;
ordinary network card in the linux box; crossover cable between. The
PC will happily use the Wireless card and Wired card.

You'll need to set the gateway on the linux box to the IP address of
the PC with modem.

jay

Or much the same but just stick in a cheapo switched hub and use
straight patch cables. ---- only a little more expensive.
Realteck RL8139 pci 100baseT network cars are cheap reliable and work
well under M$ Windows and most recent Linux kernels (early versions of
the 2.4 kernelhowever didn't support this card)

Old December 18th 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:58:01 +0000 (UTC), bonzo
wrote:

Or much the same but just stick in a cheapo switched hub and use
straight patch cables. ---- only a little more expensive.
Realteck RL8139 pci 100baseT network cars are cheap reliable and work
well under M$ Windows and most recent Linux kernels (early versions of
the 2.4 kernelhowever didn't support this card)

Yup - far more elegant.

jay
Old December 18th 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Allan Young

I've actually gone for the crossover, purely cos I had one made up already!

Still to try the setup out - family committments and all at this time of
year - hopefully I'll get a day to myself over the next 10 days and be able
to give it a go.

Looking forward to it; the network side of it I'm not too bad on, it was the
confusion of wireless and cable without an access point! throw in Linux box
as well, and you see why I came to you guys for guidance!

Thanks to everyone, and maybe I'll get a chance to reply to this initial
message from the Linux box before the New Year! Thanks again.