Can 6core alarm cable to used for networking?

Old December 14th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clie

Default Can 6core alarm cable to used for networking?

Does cat5 cable have to be used, or would 6 core alarm cable work OK (on say
a 25m run) between a PC and a router?

Old December 14th 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 14 Dec
2003 11:57:22 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Clie" fornis
do marikano es bono tan el:

Does cat5 cable have to be used, or would 6 core alarm cable work OK (on say
a 25m run) between a PC and a router?

Nope, as it needs to be twisted pair.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old December 14th 03, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SantaUK

But twisted pair can be used for alarm purposes too!

--
Regards

SantaUK
Mail me at:
arjf (ng) zzvyyne (qbg) pb (qbg) hx === ROT13
Use http://andrewu.co.uk/tools/rot13/ to convert to readable format

Old December 14th 03, 04:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

The only reason twisted pair is used is to cut down interference. You could
run without it over a short run with nothing electrical nearby, but your
packet loss might be high. All Cat5 is is a set of standards to ensure that
all cable is the same. You could any cable for a network, but cat5 is
designed to ensure maximum data transfer. Give the alarm cable a try and see
what it does!

Old December 14th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:34:52 +0000, Richard Haygreen wrote:

The only reason twisted pair is used is to cut down interference. You
could run without it over a short run with nothing electrical nearby, but
your packet loss might be high. All Cat5 is is a set of standards to
ensure that all cable is the same. You could any cable for a network, but
cat5 is designed to ensure maximum data transfer. Give the alarm cable a
try and see what it does!

Then as CAT5 is cheap, why bother ? and save any hassle.

Dave