Can't connect at 54mbps with Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless Router

Old December 14th 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Burdin

Default Can't connect at 54mbps with Belkin ADSL Modem Wireless Router

Afternoon all,

Here's my problem -
I've just purchased the Belkin ADSL Modem with built-in wireless router
(F5D7630uk4A) and Wireless Notebook Network Card 54g (F5D7010uk).

My problem is that I can't get the laptop card to connect to the router when
the wireless mode is set to '11g only' - I can only connect when I have one
of the other options selected which all include '11b'. I can see the
wireless network in the 'Site Monitor' tab of the 'Wireless LAN Utility' on
the Laptop when the 'Wireless Mode' on the router is set to '11g Only' but
the 'Link Status' tab says 'No Network available'. However, as soon as I set
the 'Wireless Mode' on the router back to, say, 'Long Range Mixed
(11b+11g)', the laptop reconnects but the speed is only 11mbps (in the 'link
status' tab). Note that in the 'site monitor' tab the 'Selected Network'
section says 'Standard.... 802.11b'.

Anybody got any ideas? Am I missing some configuration on my laptop maybe?

Cheers,

Stephen

Old December 15th 03, 02:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt

"Stephen Burdin" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Stephen,

I bought the same hardware and am getting exatly the same problem. It
worked first time out of the box but at 11Mbps. I too think that it's
running on 802.11b. If you make any progress or work out how to get
the speed upto 54Mpbs can you please let me know.

Thanks

Matt
Old December 16th 03, 12:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Burdin

Matt,

I've shifted some large files around on my network and they do seem to copy
faster when compared to my previous wireless network (Linksys 802.11b only).
However, the laptop utility still says the network is running at 11mbps. I'm
wondering if the network is actully running above 11mbps but there is an
issue with the laptop utility i.e. it think's the network is running at
11mbps but in fact it is running at 54g. Not sure.

Anybody have any advice/experience with this issue?

Cheers,

Stephen

om...

Old December 16th 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt

Hi Again,

I too have moved some files around and it seems to be about half as
quick as a direct wired 100Mb link so it may well be working.

What setting has you used on the Router ?

Do you know what g-Nitro means and do you have to enable it on the
card as well as the Router ?

I have changed some of the properties in the Network Card device
driver, i.e. I've set the Mode to be "54g Performance" and the Rate to
be "54Mpbs". The utility now reports the speed as 54Mbps. I have
completely lost faith in the network utility as the network monitoring
part it still reporting the network as 802.11b.

Any news give me a mail.

Cheers

Matt

"Stephen Burdin" wrote in message ...
Matt,

I've shifted some large files around on my network and they do seem to copy
faster when compared to my previous wireless network (Linksys 802.11b only).
However, the laptop utility still says the network is running at 11mbps. I'm
wondering if the network is actully running above 11mbps but there is an
issue with the laptop utility i.e. it think's the network is running at
11mbps but in fact it is running at 54g. Not sure.

Anybody have any advice/experience with this issue?

Cheers,

Stephen

om...

Old December 26th 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
APC

"Stephen Burdin" wrote in
:

[...]

Not sure if this thread's dead but I had the same problem with two Belkin
54g wireless PCI cards, but running in ad hoc mode. After much anguish I've
cured the problem.

Leave your router as it is for now. I suspect the problem is with the card
on the laptop rather than the router.

First, if you installed the drivers that came on the CD with the card, make
sure you have the *latest* drivers installed for the card. These can be
downloaded from Belkin.com. If you haven't done so, install these (the
update will automatically remove the old ones from your system). Make sure
all your IP addresses are set up correctly etc. once you've installed the
drivers.

Second, for some bizarre reason the Belkin cards seem to come with '802.11b
only' set as the default, and you can't change this from the Belkin
utility. You need to go into 'My Computer' - 'Hardware' - 'Device Manager'
then select the Belkin card Properties under the 'Network Adapters'
heading. Click the 'Advanced' tab at the top, and you will see a long list
of different settings for the card. For the IBSS 45g(tm) mode make sure
'54g - Auto' is selected. This will enable 54g speeds but will still
provide you with interoperability for any .11b machines you might want to
connect. Leave all other settings alone.

Come out of device manager, reboot everything in sight. Now, depending on
ranges, your 54g devices should be able to communicate with each other at
true 54g speeds. Bear in mind, though, that if your site conditions are
poor (big old walls etc) you might only be making 36.0 Mbps (as I am). Far
preferable to the 2 Mbps I was getting under .11b though :-)

HTH

Old January 2nd 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt

APC wrote in message .. .
"Stephen Burdin" wrote in
:

[...]

I tried that and it's still reporting a connection speed of 11Mbps.
Have you got the same Router and Laptop card as us ?

I think it's a problem with the Router. As when I set the Router
Wireless mode to 11g only it's can't connect at all. The lpatop card
utility reports that is can't find a 11g network only a 11b network ?

What versions of the software are running on your router ?

The signal strength is excellent.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Matt
Old January 5th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
APC

(Matt) wrote in
om:

APC wrote in message
.. .
"Stephen Burdin" wrote in
:

[...]

Hello again,

Sorry it didn't work out.

As I said originally I'm not running a hardware router - I'm using two PCI
cards in ad hoc mode and a software router (Sygate) in the box that's
connected to the ADSL line. Afraid I have no experience with your router,
but just had a glance at the Belkin web site and there does not appear to
be a firmware upgrade for it, so either you have a faulty router, the
updated drivers for your card did not install cleanly, or something is
misconfigured.

I found this thread here, which gives instructions for a 'manual' install
of the updated drivers.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O21A416F6

Worth a try I'd say, but if it doesn't work I'd contact Belkin support.

One more thing - have you made sure that you've disabled Windows XP's
handling of the wireless connection on the laptop and enabled the Belkin
utility?

Old January 8th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul_Isaac

I have the exact problem as you all have with one added difficulty,
actually two.

The first one is that after having been on for a while or not
connected, I lose access to certain https sites, Hotmail and Barclays
being two, however other secure sites are fine.

Secondly, I cannot seem to restore a backed up configuration, every
time I try I get "File too short".

Have any of you had the same problems? If so, any solutions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul