Newbie network query

Old December 14th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nel

Default Newbie network query

I'm waiting delivery of a new 'Media Center' PC for which I have bought an
ADSL Ethernet 4 port modem/router. I currently have it connected to my
present PC via it's USB port (bit of a bonus as I thought I was going to
have to get a network card for it!).

The plan is to move my old machine upstairs along with the modem and drop a
network cable down to the new machine, but I'm unsure as to a couple of
things - will I be able to network between both PC's? Is it easy to set up?
Do I need more hardware/software?

TIA

Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:19:14 +0000, Nel wrote:

I'm waiting delivery of a new 'Media Center' PC for which I have bought an
ADSL Ethernet 4 port modem/router. I currently have it connected to my
present PC via it's USB port (bit of a bonus as I thought I was going to
have to get a network card for it!).

The plan is to move my old machine upstairs along with the modem and drop
a network cable down to the new machine, but I'm unsure as to a couple of
things - will I be able to network between both PC's? Is it easy to set
up? Do I need more hardware/software?

TIA

You need to abandon the USB and use one of the ports. Network cards
are less than 10 quid, it will transfer data 10 times faster than USB with
hardly any processor usage. It will also allow seamless file and printer
sharing between the two PC's as well as the internet connection of course.
File sharing is unlikely to work properly via the USB port.

Graham

Old December 20th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

wrote:

I'm waiting delivery of a new 'Media Center' PC for which I have bought an
ADSL Ethernet 4 port modem/router. I currently have it connected to my
present PC via it's USB port (bit of a bonus as I thought I was going to
have to get a network card for it!).

The plan is to move my old machine upstairs along with the modem and drop a
network cable down to the new machine, but I'm unsure as to a couple of
things - will I be able to network between both PC's? Is it easy to set up?
Do I need more hardware/software?

Okay - you do have an extension to the ADSL phone line upstairs, don't
you? If not you can leave the modem/router where it is.

You need a network card for the older PC (a ten quid one is more than
adequate), and you'll need to run a long cable or install two outlets
(nicer) between the two PCs. B&Q does a reasonable and cheap network
starter kit according to other posters in here.

Your hardware set up will be:

o Router/modem connected to ADSL

o PC near router/modem connected by patch lead to a port on the router

o PC far from router/modem connected by patch lead to outlet

o Other outlet connected by patch lead to router/modem

In software, set both PCs to automatically obtain an IP address, and
use the IP address of the router/modem as each PCs gateway (check the
manual for the default value). The router should then handle the
addressing.

While you are there activate file/printer sharing and change the
properties for any printers/files you want to share.

Pretty straightforward - email me if you get stuck! Remember you can
revert to USB on the old machine if it all stops working so you can
seek help!

jay