Linksys router and connection problems

Old December 15th 03, 09:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stoneskin

Default Linksys router and connection problems

I have a Linksys Wireless-B router (BEFSW41 IIRC) setup with my cable
connection and one PC plugged directly ito it. A crossover cable goes
from one of the other ports to a D-Link 4 port switch where my other PC
and XBox connect to it.

The problem is since installing the router and switch anything I
download usually times out before it's complete. a 3MB download for
example may just stop at 1MB and no activity will show up on the network
properties for that machine. Even in this stopped state I can still
load webpages (refreshed so they're not cached pages) which produce
network activity.

The problem seems as though every once in a while the Linksys router
will 'hiccup' and any sessions I have going will be interuppted
resulting in a failed download. Of course, an occasional hiccup
wouldn't affect web browsing unless it does it while downloading a page
- I have had the odd page not come up but refresh will usually work.

I've tried the cables and tried plugging the pc directly into the cable
modem which works fine - the problem is definatly the router. Both PCs
show these symptons. The one connected via the Switch and the one
connected directly into the router.

According to NTL I don't need to specify a hostname or specific MAC
address and I have tried tweaking the MTU size on the router which
doesn't resolve the problem.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]