Cat 5 cabling

Old December 15th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clie

Default Cat 5 cabling

Need to connect a router and pc (prob about 20 apart - cable length)

Can I used a 20m patch cable, or does it need to be solid wiring with two
short patch leads to connect.

Have found a website that states "
Stranded is recommended for any applications where repeated cable flexing is
likely i.e. between the RJ45 wall plate and the workstation or within
cabinets between patch panels and active networking equipment.

Since attenuation is higher than in solid cable, cable runs should be kept
as short as possible to lower the chance of introducing too much attenuation
into your system. For patch cables, it is recommended to keep to lengths
under 6m.

Suitable for ISDN, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, ATM and Gigabit."

Can anyone help?

Old December 15th 03, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

20m patch cable will be fine. I think that website is aimed more at business
installers, rather than a home user. Over that length any data loss will be
minimal and recovered so fast you won't even notice.

news

Old December 15th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Clie"
says...
Need to connect a router and pc (prob about 20 apart - cable length)

Can I used a 20m patch cable, or does it need to be solid wiring with two
short patch leads to connect.

You could get a 20m solid patch cable like
http://www.homestead.co.uk/cat5x.htm
which is fine as long as it won't be moved much.
Or you might find that stranded cable works fine anyway.