Laptop recommendation

Old December 17th 03, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.home-networking
Scooby Doo

Default Laptop recommendation

I'm looking to buy a laptop straight after xmas and need some
recommendations.

Obviously I want the fastest laptop available but memory is not important as
its cheaper to buy aftermarket memory. Also don't want a Celeron chip and
portability is also a consideration, as is a DVD/CDR combo, Wi-Fi and a
decent screen size (14"/15" with 1280 perferred). As a result I've narrowed
it down to the Toshiba Tecra S1 or Dell 500M. I'm inclined towards the Tosh
but the 1024x768 screen res is putting me off - would prefer 1280x1024 on a
14" screen.

Can 'the panel' make a suggestion for a laptop, around the 1000 mark (inc
VAT) which must include the above specifications. If anyone knows of any
sales or bargains to be had that would be very handy.

Thanks guys

Old December 18th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.home-networking
ric

Default Tosh M1?

"Scooby Doo" wrote in message ...
I'm looking to buy a laptop straight after xmas and need some
recommendations.

Obviously I want the fastest laptop available but memory is not important as
its cheaper to buy aftermarket memory. Also don't want a Celeron chip and
portability is also a consideration, as is a DVD/CDR combo, Wi-Fi and a
decent screen size (14"/15" with 1280 perferred). As a result I've narrowed
it down to the Toshiba Tecra S1 or Dell 500M. I'm inclined towards the Tosh
but the 1024x768 screen res is putting me off - would prefer 1280x1024 on a
14" screen.

Can 'the panel' make a suggestion for a laptop, around the 1000 mark (inc
VAT) which must include the above specifications. If anyone knows of any
sales or bargains to be had that would be very handy.

Thanks guys

I've just got an M1 through work and it's pretty good. Seems
identical to the S1 apart from a Trident video card (ok, bit iffy for
games compared to a more standard ATI one on the S1) and has the
option of 1280 res screen (it's a 15" one which is excellent).
It's a biggish one but battery life's enormous and it's *nice*.
The M100 might be worth looking at for a sub-notebook.