Simultaneous Ethernet & WiFi connections - Help.....!

Old December 17th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Walker

Default Simultaneous Ethernet & WiFi connections - Help.....!

Hi -

I have a standard 10/100 cabled Ethernet arrangment, for a small Windows
peer network (providing file, printer & internet sharing). This
includes a 'docking lead' for my laptop, so that it can plug in on the
desk to update large data files (approx 1-2 gb)

I recently stuck a generic 802.11b Access Point onto the network, so
that the laptop could roam without having to swap from socket to socket.
It works fine for that, but obviously it's a lot slower than switched
Ethernet.

The problem is that even when I connect the ThinkPad with it's normal
Cat5 lead, the WiFi still connects as well. So I have two network
connections (and two IP addresses) on the laptop, and any data transfer
seems to use one or both of them randomly. Tonight it's favouring the
802.11b, and my normal 10 min file transfer is going to take a hour or
two.

I could physically unplug the AP before booting the laptop, or manually
disable WiFi on the laptop each time I want to do a big transfer, but
surely there's some way that the OS (XP Pro) can recognise & prioritise
between two available connections?

Fingers crossed for any advice people can offer - Thanks for reading
this far !

Old December 17th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MoJo JoJo

disable the wi-fi on the laptop when plugged into via the cable

I suspect this is the routing table within Windows that is the reason you are
going via wi-fi somedays and ethernet others.

Old December 18th 03, 08:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Investigate hardware profiles through windows help.

You tell the laptop at boot you are "wired" or "wireless" (or whatever
names you chose for your profiles) and allow only that adaptor to be
enabled in that profile.

afaik there isn't a utility which detects presence of wired and
disables wireless for you.

jay

Old December 18th 03, 06:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Walker

Jay wrote:
Investigate hardware profiles through windows help.

You tell the laptop at boot you are "wired" or "wireless" (or whatever
names you chose for your profiles) and allow only that adaptor to be
enabled in that profile.

afaik there isn't a utility which detects presence of wired and
disables wireless for you.

Thanks Jay ( & MoJo) -

Pretty depressing that physical intervention is required to force a
changeover which is obvious, but I guess if that's my biggest problem I
can't complain.... )

Old December 19th 03, 06:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

Hi -

I have a standard 10/100 cabled Ethernet arrangment,

I recently stuck a generic 802.11b Access Point onto the network,

The problem is that even when I connect the ThinkPad with it's normal
Cat5 lead, the WiFi still connects as well.

Not sure if this would be suitable for you but what about setting up a
Hardware Profile. If you've got both either both will connect or you
will have to disable one or the other.

I would have thought that it should take the easier route if given an
option but obviously not.

Geoff Lane

Old December 19th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:46:31 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Pretty depressing that physical intervention is required to force a
changeover which is obvious, but I guess if that's my biggest problem I
can't complain.... )

)

Know what you mean. Over time this will no doubt be addressed. In
the grand scheme of things, mainstream wireless is still pretty new.

Have fun

jay