ICS Windows XP and Zone alarm 4.5.530

Old December 19th 03, 09:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

Default ICS Windows XP and Zone alarm 4.5.530

have zone alarm V 4.5.530 on my main machine.
This machine I use to connect directly to the internet by an internal ADSL
modem.

I have 2x NICs, one which is not connected (3COM) and another CNET card
which is connected to my brothers computer in his room. The connection is a
direct cable (cross over type) with no hubs or switches, although I may add
one later.

His machine is running windows 98 SE.
My computer can see his computer and he can access the shared stuff on my
PC, and I can do the same on his PC.
However when it comes to sharing the internet connection, zone alarm wont
let me do it. When I shut down zone alarm on my computer he can access it.
In the firewall properties tab in zonealarm, it has incorectly found his
private IP address. The IP address is showing as 192.168.0.0, but when I
ping his computer his IP address comes up as 192.168.0.2 and the IP address
of my computer is 192.168.0.1!

I cant change the IP address on the zone alarm settings becuase apparantly
it is all done automatically.
I have tried to add his IP address but it doesnt display as network in the
entry type box.
Something must be playing up because if he can browse my PC and I can do the
same, then surely something is up, but I cant figure it out!!!!

There is no firewall on my brothers PC.

Thanks for your help.

Old December 19th 03, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Haygreen

Some versions of zone alarm do not support ICS, check whether yours does.

Old December 19th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

I found there was an advanced Tab in Firewall|main

Thanks for your.... help...

Old December 20th 03, 02:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bonzo

Aosmosis wrote:

have zone alarm V 4.5.530 on my main machine.
This machine I use to connect directly to the internet by an internal ADSL
modem.

Switch to Kerio Personal Firewall (also free for personal use)it makes
setting extra rules to allow this sort of thing very easy --- it brings
up a dialog box when anything tries to connect in or out for the first
time and allows you to tick a box create a rule to allow or disallow it
in the future. --- really easy to use a solid fire wall that
dosen't worry you with false alarms.