Networking XP to ME.

Old December 19th 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Regular Guy

Default Networking XP to ME.

I'm having troubl networking my two computers, one using XP and the other
ME. After runing the network wizard successfully on both computers, when i
try to access the shared folders the computer crashes, can anyone who has
successfully networked these two OS together please help?
Does anyone know of any good websites out there for finding out information
on how to setup the network on these two computers?

Old December 19th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:52:50 +0000 (UTC), "Regular Guy"
wrote:

I'm having troubl networking my two computers, one using XP and the other
ME. After runing the network wizard successfully on both computers, when i
try to access the shared folders the computer crashes, can anyone who has
successfully networked these two OS together please help?
Does anyone know of any good websites out there for finding out information
on how to setup the network on these two computers?

There shouldn't be any particular problem, I've got 98 1st edition,
ME, XP and Linux going together.

I haven't a clue why it should crash the computer, sometimes gives a
message that a folder may not be accessible or permission not granted
but I've not experienced a 'lock up'.

How are you networking, are you using an ethernet hub or directly
computer to computer, if the latter then you need a 'cross over' wire
rather than a conventional ethernet.

Geoff Lane

Old December 19th 03, 04:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Regular Guy

It says i do not have permission to access this computer the path cannot be
found, when i try to acess my computer running ME through my computer
running XP.

Old December 19th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

wrote:

I'm having troubl networking my two computers, one using XP and the other
ME. After runing the network wizard successfully on both computers, when i
try to access the shared folders the computer crashes,

Which computer crashes? Have you tried connecting in both directions,
and is the result the same?

Have you tried not using the wizard, setting the IP addresses manually
to, say 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
and attempting the access?

Have you tried creating a new folder at the root of the hard disk and
sharting that, then connecting to it?

Have you got a printer? Have you tried sharing that?

I know that's lots of work....just possible it is a corrupt folder or
a problem with the wizards etc.

can anyone who has
successfully networked these two OS together please help?

Having had no end of problems with ME I try to avoid it like a plague
wherever possible...no chance you can get 98, 2000 or XP on that
machine instead?

jay
Old December 19th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:30:45 +0000 (UTC), "Regular Guy"
wrote:

I'm having troubl networking my two computers, one using XP and the other
ME. After runing the network wizard successfully on both computers, when
try to access the shared folders the computer crashes, can anyone who has
successfully networked these two OS together please help?

How are you networking, are you using an ethernet hub or directly
computer to computer, if the latter then you need a 'cross over' wire
rather than a conventional ethernet.

It says i do not have permission to access this computer the path cannot be
found, when i try to acess my computer running ME through my computer
running XP.

Does it work OK the other way, also, you didn't mention how your
system is set up.

You alos metion an error message about permission access or path not
found, what causes the lock up then?

Geoff Lane

Old December 20th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pgnl

wrote:

[...]

A couple of months ago I tried to connect my two PC's via a crossover cable
and had a right game, eventually I managed to get the WinME machine to see
the WinXP machine but not vice versa. I also tried connecting via the Direct
Connection Wizard usinga parallel lead (apparently there are
incompatible!)..... ICS worked though and I could surf on both machines.

I gave up in the end and now I have a Netgear wireless router which works a
dream...

Patrick