VPN software?

Old July 27th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bill Godfrey

Default VPN software?

Hello.

I've got a fairly ordinary 192.168.0.0/24 network at home, consisting of a
netgear NAT+firewall box and one or two computers. (Both running win98)

A friend of mine (in a far off land) has one computer which connects to the
internet without NAT but has a firewall that blocks incoming traffic.

I'd like this friend to be able to send and receive traffic in my home
network without the firewall getting in the way.

I invisage that I'll have to tell my firewall to redirect incoming traffic
for a port (ssh?) into some VPN software I'll install. (I know how to do
this with my firewall. She doesn't. So the tunnel would have to use me as
the server and her as the client.)

Inside my local network, this VPN software would look for IP traffic
destined for (say) 192.168.0.58 and send it down the tunnel. The receipient
would pick it up and feed the new IP packet into her local protocol stack.

At my friend's end, she would have similar software which presents a
network interface with a local address of 192.168.0.58 and a /24 netmask.
Any IP traffic for this range would be packaged up and sent down the
tunnel.

SSH port forwarding doesn't seem to be the thing. The software we want to
run won't be told which ports to listen in or connect out to. My friend
really needs an IP address on my network.

(Oh yes, the NAT effect gets in the way of just using the public internet.)

Any recommendations please?

Bill, patching together a very long cat5 cable.
Old July 27th 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blacknight Computers

HI Bill

to set up a VPN with Windows XP check out this page:

http://www.net.ttu.edu/docs/vpn/winxpvpn.htm

the above link will show you how to set up the client.

the link below will show you how to setup the server side of the connection:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/xpvpnsrv.htm

plus you will have to open up port 1723 - 1724 on your router and pont them
to the VPN server.

Need any more help just give me a call or email,

regards from
Phillip Cooper
Blacknight Computers & Network Services Ltd
T: 0870 777 6820
M: 07786327554
Email:

"Bill Godfrey" wrote in message
[...]