DHCP problem on Sony VAIO running Xp Home.

Old July 28th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
derek *

Default DHCP problem on Sony VAIO running Xp Home.

My daughter's laptop won't accept a dynamic IP from my Vigor 2600
router via a BENQ wireless access point.

The wireless hardware is running perfectly the signal to the laptop is
98 - 100% , A desktop running W2,000 pro gets it's IP set up fine on
the wireless network, and an IP telephone wired to the router also
gets it's Ip ok via DHCP.

If I look into the router diagnostics I can see the router has in fact
obtained the "name" of the laptop and allocated an IP for it (But
pinging this IP times out) but the laptop is still using a (stupid)
"automatically assigned private IP address".
Trying to "repair" the wireless connection takes ages eventually
stopping with an error along the lines Unsuccessful in obtaining an IP
address, contact your ISP or net admin.

I've changed the wireless PCMCIA card in the laptop and tried another
router from work. still no joy.

The set-up is only about a month old and it worked fine from scratch.
It just stopped after about 10 days. Nothing new has been installed on
the laptop, the Xp Home firewall is not active.

Oh, if it's any clue all the other windows (file + printer sharing)
networking seems to have stopped on the laptop also, the "Workgroup
Name" is set correctly.

Any suggestions please!

DG
Old July 29th 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"derek *" wrote in message
My daughter's laptop won't accept a dynamic IP from my Vigor 2600
router via a BENQ wireless access point.

[snip]
I've changed the wireless PCMCIA card in the laptop and tried another
router from work. still no joy.

Which would seem to suggest a problem with Windows.

The set-up is only about a month old and it worked fine from scratch.
It just stopped after about 10 days. Nothing new has been installed on
the laptop, the Xp Home firewall is not active.

Oh, if it's any clue all the other windows (file + printer sharing)
networking seems to have stopped on the laptop also, the "Workgroup
Name" is set correctly.

If the IP address is wrong, that is not surprising.

Any suggestions please!

You could:
- Investigate System Restore.
- Try configuring a static IP address.
- If possible, try a wired Ethernet connection.

Alex

Old July 29th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
derek *

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:47:37 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

If the IP address is wrong, that is not surprising.

Previously using 2,000 PRO or NT4 I didn't even need to have TCPIP
installed to share/print across the network

Any suggestions please!

You could:
- Investigate System Restore.
- Try configuring a static IP address.
- If possible, try a wired Ethernet connection.

OK, thanks

Tried a wired connection, it works perfectly. Oddly on plugging the
connection in, the status window for the wired ethernet adapter said
the connection had been up for 8 days 15 hours .. ..

BTW, Windows says the wireless adapter is "Working Properly"

Worth uninstalling it and re-installing?

???

DG

Old August 8th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
derek *

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:58:24 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "derek *"
says...

wrote:

If the IP address is wrong, that is not surprising.

Previously using 2,000 PRO or NT4 I didn't even need to have TCPIP
installed to share/print across the network

XP no longer installs NetBEUI by default, on the basis that everyone
uses TCP/IP these days and you don't need them both. I believe it's
still on the CD if you want to install it.

This is how the issue was resolved.

I tried uninstalling the PCMCIA card driver and re-installing. I was
gratified to see on re-starting the pcmcia card had obtained an IP
address. But not for long because tcpip networking still did not work.
And checking after a few minutes revealed the old "Automatically
assigned private IP address" nonsense had returned. Furthermore this
whole rigmarole was repeatable.

So, I went to Maplins and bought a "Sitecom" USB dongle for 19.99
which works flawlessly. It will also work at the higher speed (11g) if
my daughter gets access to any such networks at Uni or wherever.

So I am now the proud owner of 2 [email protected] KWL-210 PCMCIA cards I cannot
use. Somehow my bones tell me they would work on W2K.

DG