Odd networking problem - advice appreciated

Old July 29th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stormsinger

Default Odd networking problem - advice appreciated

Hi

I've been trying to set up a simple network at a friend's house.

His basic setup is a desktop, and a laptop, both running XPHome.

I've manually set the IP addresses as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, both with subnet
mask 255.255.255.0. Both machines have the same workgroup, and both have file sharing
enabled. They are connected via a crossover cable.

Both machines can "see" one another on the network. The desktop can access files on
the laptop with no problem. The laptop can see shared folders on the destop, it can
even print to the printer that is attached to the desktop, but when we try to access
files on the desktop from the laptop, we get the following error from the laptop:

"\\DESKTOP\'whateverfolder' is not accessible. You might not have permission to
access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

Now I've set up lots of small networks before, with very little trouble. AFAICS
everything is set up okay. The folders on the desktop are shared (in fact I've even
enabled file sharing for the root).

I must have misssed something somewhere, but I can't for the life of me see what it
is. Any advice or pointers much appreciated

TIA

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old July 29th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Stormsinger"
says...
[...]

Enable simple file sharing?
Use a user account with the same name and password on both machines?
Change the user/group permissions for the folders you're sharing?
Old July 29th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stormsinger

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Stormsinger"
says...
Hi

I've been trying to set up a simple network at a friend's house.

His basic setup is a desktop, and a laptop, both running XPHome.

snip

Now I've set up lots of small networks before, with very little trouble. AFAICS
everything is set up okay. The folders on the desktop are shared (in fact I've even
enabled file sharing for the root).

I must have misssed something somewhere, but I can't for the life of me see what it
is. Any advice or pointers much appreciated

Thanks for the reply

Enable simple file sharing?

Yes, I've done that

Use a user account with the same name and password on both machines?

Tried that too.

Change the user/group permissions for the folders you're sharing?

I can't see a way of doing this in XPhome. In XP Pro (which I'm running here) I can
do that, but it doesn't seem to be available in the home version. I'm pretty sure
that when I first set this up for him, everything worked, but it isn't now. Since the
original setup, he's downloaded some Windows updates, (which may have caused a
problem I suppose), and some "helpful" neighbour's daughter ran the "Network setup
wizard" on the laptop.

It looks as if it should work, but it doesn't. I'm wondering now whether I'd be
better removing all the networking stuff and re-installing it on the Desktop, in case
something has gone awry with the TCP/IP protocol files?

Old July 30th 04, 01:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Stormsinger"
says...
Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

How about this:
There are a couple of things that can cause this error but most likely
is too small a value for IRPStackSize on the XP Home PC (the one that
neither of the others can connect to). The default IRPStackSize for
Windows XP is 15 (decimal) and installing certain software, including
Norton AntiVirus, changes this to a smaller value. To verify
IRPStackSize is the culprit open Event Viewer on that PC (click Start ,
Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Event
Viewer) and look for event 2011.

You shouldn't attempt altering the value of IRPStackSize yourself unless
you are comfortable editing the registry. The procedure is:

Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.
Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es
\lanmanserver\parameters and double-click IRPStackSize.
The existing value will probably be in hexadecimal but you can click
Decimal to convert it before typing 15 in the 'Value data' field and
clicking OK.
Reboot your PC to put the new value into effect.

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2....256E7500205334
Old July 30th 04, 02:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stormsinger

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Stormsinger"
says...
Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll try that and report back here.
It sounds promising, as we did install NAV2003 on the machine.

Old July 31st 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bof

In message , Stormsinger
writes
Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

It seems to be possible by starting XP Home in 'Safe Mode', I was going
to do this but it's so clunky I didn't use it in the end.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old July 31st 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stormsinger

Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

Thanks, you are a genius. It worked perfectly.

The value had been reduced to Hex B/ Dec 11. I set this back to 15 as you suggested
and everything now works fine. :-)

Old July 31st 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Stormsinger"
says...
snip
Thanks, you are a genius. It worked perfectly.

All I did was Google and read around a bit :-)
Glad you got it fixed.