DUN Problem - ongoing

Old July 30th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default DUN Problem - ongoing

Acer Aspire 1300

Back in June I posted a message about a DUN problem, message ID below.

I had, numerous useful replies though none of which solved the problem.

Very briefly my home adsl broadband works fine but DUN fails to connect
after making all the normal sqwaking noises.

I have now formatted and reloaded XP onto my laptop, DUN still does NOT
connect, it gets to verifying username and password then drops the line.

My DUN account works fine from another computer so it is not the settings.

I have tried to use a mobile phone - this to eliminate the modem as a
problem but still no luck, the phone settings work fine with another
computer.

Now I am wondering what on earth it can be, is there a possibilty of a
motherboard problem, it is a Connexant Winmodem.

Geoff Lane

Old July 30th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
N-Wave

couple for things to try

different modem
reduce the connection speed

Old July 31st 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Watson

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Acer Aspire 1300

Now I am wondering what on earth it can be, is there a possibilty of a
motherboard problem, it is a Connexant Winmodem.

Is your line ex-directory? If it is, go in to the properties of the
connection. Network connections right click on the dialup connection and
scroll down to properties and in the general tab disable use dialling rules
and then add the telephone number in the telephone number dialogue box but
prefix the number with 1470, (include the comma) so it looks like
1470,0845xxxxxx etc.

HTH,

Dave

Old July 31st 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"N-Wave" wrote in message

Back in June I posted a message about a DUN problem, message ID below.

couple for things to try

different modem

That is something I will attempt but unable to do so at the moment but I
have tried a mobile over an IrDA link, same problem though mobile works fine
with handheld.

reduce the connection speed

Tried that.

Geoff Lane

Old July 31st 04, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"Dave Watson" [email protected] wrote in message
Acer Aspire 1300

Now I am wondering what on earth it can be, is there a possibilty of a
motherboard problem, it is a Connexant Winmodem.

Is your line ex-directory?

No, it isn't. I've checked all settings against a known good connection and
nothing is amiss.

Just to highlight, DUN was working fine early in the year, I used it
occasionally to keep some ISPs active since getting ADSL and now for some
reason it is not working.

No obvious computer crash, but even so I've done a fresh reload of XP.

Geoff Lane

Old July 31st 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stormsinger

"Geoff Lane" wrote:

"Dave Watson" [email protected] wrote in message
Acer Aspire 1300

Now I am wondering what on earth it can be, is there a possibilty of a
motherboard problem, it is a Connexant Winmodem.

Is your line ex-directory?

No, it isn't. I've checked all settings against a known good connection and
nothing is amiss.

Just to highlight, DUN was working fine early in the year, I used it
occasionally to keep some ISPs active since getting ADSL and now for some
reason it is not working.

No obvious computer crash, but even so I've done a fresh reload of XP.

I'd suspect a dodgy modem. A friend seemed to be getting a similar problem, and
replacing the modem sorted it out.
--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old July 31st 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Acer Aspire 1300

Back in June I posted a message about a DUN problem, message ID below.

I had, numerous useful replies though none of which solved the problem.

Very briefly my home adsl broadband works fine but DUN fails to connect
after making all the normal sqwaking noises.

I have now formatted and reloaded XP onto my laptop, DUN still does NOT
connect, it gets to verifying username and password then drops the line.

My DUN account works fine from another computer so it is not the settings.

I have tried to use a mobile phone - this to eliminate the modem as a
problem but still no luck, the phone settings work fine with another
computer.

Now I am wondering what on earth it can be, is there a possibilty of a
motherboard problem, it is a Connexant Winmodem.

Geoff Lane

It could be due to your ADSL filter being out of spec. Try unplugging the
filter and ADSL modem and plug your 56k modem direct into the master phone
socket.
If this cures it, then you can buy a replacement master socket ADSL
faceplate which contains a better quality filter and looks neater.
Also, due to the filter, any 56k modem will only work at a slower speeds
(about 30-40K), so make sure the modem is not restricted to only connecting
at V90 speed.

Dave

Old August 1st 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"logized" wrote in message

Very briefly my home adsl broadband works fine but DUN fails to connect
after making all the normal sqwaking noises.

I have now formatted and reloaded XP onto my laptop, DUN still does NOT
connect, it gets to verifying username and password then drops the line.

It could be due to your ADSL filter being out of spec. Try unplugging the
filter and ADSL modem and plug your 56k modem direct into the master phone
socket.
If this cures it, then you can buy a replacement master socket ADSL
faceplate which contains a better quality filter and looks neater.
Also, due to the filter, any 56k modem will only work at a slower speeds
(about 30-40K), so make sure the modem is not restricted to only

connecting
at V90 speed.

I've just tried to connect via bluetooth and a SonyEriccson Z600.

Again failed after saying verifying username and password.

Gave me error 720 suggesting I check TCP/IP and protocols.

As mentioned, my settings are correct as they work on other computers.

Geoff Lane

Old August 1st 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Watson

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

Gave me error 720 suggesting I check TCP/IP and protocols.

As mentioned, my settings are correct as they work on other computers.

I'd suggest checking your settings again. Error 720 indicates no PPP
protocolos are configured.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=error+720

Dave

Old August 2nd 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Gave me error 720 suggesting I check TCP/IP and protocols.

As mentioned, my settings are correct as they work on other computers.

I'd suggest checking your settings again. Error 720 indicates no PPP
protocolos are configured.

I think it is more deep routed that a settings problem, perhaps a registry
problem but I am exploring that option.

My original post suggested a clean loaded XP was not working but I have
found this to be a phone line problem.

As it stands now my clean load connects fine whereas my original is
appearing to work perfectly, internet via network, all programs working ok,
quick and everyting but not DUN.

I have checked settings so many times I am going dizzy. There is an
underlying problem but at the moment I am not sure where to go with it.

Thanks for input though.

Geoff Lane