SSID Query....

Old August 1st 04, 02:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James

Default SSID Query....

If I turn off SSID beacons, does this mean my system SSID cannot be seen at
any time, even when there is active traffic on the wireless network?

I was advised to turn off SSID beacons for security, but not sure if this
offers any more security than leaving SSID beacons on..?

James

Old August 1st 04, 03:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

it does help, so does wep or better wpa, wep 128 can be broken , but takes
several hours on even the most up to date pc/cpu.
turn off ssid & use mac filtering also, just list the ones you want to have
access.

mike

"James" wrote in message
If I turn off SSID beacons, does this mean my system SSID cannot be seen

at
any time, even when there is active traffic on the wireless network?

I was advised to turn off SSID beacons for security, but not sure if this
offers any more security than leaving SSID beacons on..?

James

---

Old August 1st 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James

"mike" wrote in message
it does help, so does wep or better wpa, wep 128 can be broken , but takes
several hours on even the most up to date pc/cpu.
turn off ssid & use mac filtering also, just list the ones you want to

have
access.

mike

Thanks Mike, thats great, I already have:

128bitWEP enabled
SSID turned off
Mac filtering on
'802.11g Only' enabled, which keeps out any passing 802.11b clients from
connecting to the system.

If anyone would care to comment on my original question, I would be
grateful....

If I turn off SSID beacons, does this mean my system SSID cannot be seen at
any time, even when there is active traffic on the wireless network? Are
packet sniffers able to still detect the SSID by monitoring the traffic,
even when SSID is turned off?

James

Old August 9th 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Having SSID beacons turned off means people aren't presented with a
network to connect to, they need to know the settings. TBH, anyone who
is bothering to hack 128WEP and MAC filtering will prolly find a way to
packet sniff the SSID anyway.
I spose it slows them down that lil bit more, and means they are less
likely to bother. Kinda like parking your car in a greenhouse or a
tinted greenhouse.