Wireless Media - what else

Old August 1st 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Wireless Media - what else

Might not be the correct newsgroup but networking folk are very worldly
wise.

Naturally I know of networking WiFi, DECT phones transmit signals, there are
video transmitters, I know low voltages are being transmitted to enable
Access Points to be mounted away from power supplies so I am wondering what
else can be transmitted without wires.

Geoff Lane

Old August 1st 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 09:21:29 +0100, "Geoff Lane"
wrote:

Naturally I know of networking WiFi, DECT phones transmit signals, there are
video transmitters, I know low voltages are being transmitted to enable
Access Points to be mounted away from power supplies so I am wondering what
else can be transmitted without wires.

Coughs and sneezes?

Coming back on-topic, I believe you'll find that, rather than using an
rf signal, the WAPs you're referring are specified as Power Over
Ethernet (802.3af), and hence are using pairs in the ethernet cabling
for their power transmission

Derek
--
Inert gases form compounds at A-level and above
Old August 1st 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"Derek" wrote in message

I am wondering what
else can be transmitted without wires.

Coughs and sneezes?

Better signal than my home network I'll bet :-)))))

Coming back on-topic, I believe you'll find that, rather than using an
rf signal, the WAPs you're referring are specified as Power Over
Ethernet (802.3af), and hence are using pairs in the ethernet cabling
for their power transmission

I've obviously initially misread it - the Linksys page emphasises that APs
are often best mounted on the ceiling etc and I got the impression it was
doing without wires trailing across the ceiling. It did mention power
sockets as being the problem so I have misunderstood.

Anyway, back to my original query, running extension aerial (TV) cable can
be a problem, especially as many computers now have TV capability, and I
wondered if there are systems that transmit a TV aerial signal. I know TV
aerials are quite cheap but sometimes one side of the house is the wrong
side of a brick wall.

Geoff Lane

Old August 1st 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Soames

I am wondering what
else can be transmitted without wires.

I am being beamed instruction from an alien race with minds immeasurably
superior to ours...

Old August 3rd 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
h2so4

When in distress I can be heard for 50 miles...wirelessly.