PCI Cards - Antennas

Old August 3rd 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stone Free

Default PCI Cards - Antennas

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the
signal.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

I am thinking of buying the equipment from amazon, but I am still not
sure which PCI card to get. The Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter for 36
says it has a "Detachable Antenna" but the picture in amazon shows it
connected and I dont know if it will come with any cable.

I had a quick look in PC World (not for the prices obviously!) but I
could only see a Belkin 11b card showing one with cable and an aerial.

Is there one that you would recommend, or would I need to buy some sort
of cable for the Linksys adapter?

One bit I left out was I would like to place the router on a table under
the sloping roof. Will it matter that it isnt placed high up as I am
only needing wireless access over one floor, as it is a flat.

At a pinch I could put it in the bedroom if it could be mounted on the
wall, but I would not like to have to put up a shelf.

Thanks