ADSL & Modem on same line

Old August 4th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default ADSL & Modem on same line

I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

Has anyone had any problems using a conventional modem on an ADSL
enabled line?

Geoff Lane

Old August 5th 04, 01:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Wilkins

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:56:10 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote :

I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

Has anyone had any problems using a conventional modem on an ADSL
enabled line?

No problems at all. I use my conventional modem mostly for fax and as
a phone answering machine, and it coexists quite happily with the ADSL
- both work simultaneously.

But you must have ADSL line filters correctly installed on the modem
line, and any other connected phones. You should have got filters
with your ADSL kit - if not, they are readily available at most
computer stores for around $5 to $10.

The ADSL modem connects directly to the phone line. Any other device
(phones, modem, answering machine etc) must each have a filter between
it and the phone line. More than 4 other devices, you need a special
filter system.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old August 5th 04, 01:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:56:10 +0100, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

Has anyone had any problems using a conventional modem on an ADSL
enabled line?

Should work ok. What problems are you having?
Try unplugging all other analogue devices on the line. Also, could be
a filter problem. If you've got one or two spare try doubling them up,
in series, if the problem persists when there is just the ADSL modem
and analogue modem on the line.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 5th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

Has anyone had any problems using a conventional modem on an ADSL
enabled line?

Geoff Lane

No problen I can connect via dial up pots modem to a webserver
running on the ADSL connection.

If you have a problem with the POTS modem it may be because of the gain
setting on the line was changed durring conversion, if the gain is set
too high many modems can't sync like wise if it is to low Fax and voice
transmission can be problematic.
Old August 5th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:27:05 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

Has anyone had any problems using a conventional modem on an ADSL
enabled line?

Should work ok. What problems are you having?

Driving me mad - I've got XP Home, I have an ADSL Router serving a
small network.

All working fine and I used to dial up four ISPs to keep them active.

DUN suddenly stopped working, I do not recall any lock up or anything
else; the network is working fine.

If I dial any ISP the modem squeels then shows, verifying username and
password, briefly shows - registering on network then drops.

I can send a fax, dial a BBS but cannot use DUN. All other computer
programs and functions appear to be working fine.

I have tried generic modem drivers but same problem.

I've got a seperate partition on the same computer with a clean XP
Home OS and DUN works fine on that partition so that eliminates (I
think) a hardware problem.

Geoff Lane

Old August 5th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:08:57 +0100, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

I have tried generic modem drivers but same problem.

Have you tried uninstalling, then physically removing the modem and
then reinstalling from scratch? I've often cured weird modem problems
in the past by doing this, (sometimes just removing the modem from
device manager then scan for changes etc.. and it's all hunky-dory).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 13th 04, 07:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

AR Gonot wrote in message ...
Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got an annoying problem and cannot narrow down the cause.

If you have a problem with the POTS modem it may be because of the gain
setting on the line was changed durring conversion, if the gain is set
too high many modems can't sync like wise if it is to low Fax and voice
transmission can be problematic.

That is interesting - before I went ADSL I do recall some time ago
getting the gain turned up but, having said that the same set up works
on a seperate partition Dual Boot second XP version).

Geoff Lane
Old August 13th 04, 07:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Lurch wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:08:57 +0100, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

I have tried generic modem drivers but same problem.

Have you tried uninstalling, then physically removing the modem and
then reinstalling from scratch? I've often cured weird modem problems
in the past by doing this, (sometimes just removing the modem from
device manager then scan for changes etc.. and it's all hunky-dory).

Yes, tried that but I have been told that the driver remains and that
when it detects 'new hardware' in merely loads the same driver.

I've got a 'manufacturers' recovery disk (Acer laptop)which makes some
alterations difficult.

It works fine on a second partition on the same computer so at least I
now have DUN access.

Geoff Lane