Can't connect to a specific website - DNS? router?

Old August 6th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

Default Can't connect to a specific website - DNS? router?

Recently, my website (hosted remotely by a 3rd party) moved servers.
When it returned, it took the DNS servers 24 hours or so to catch up and
for it to be available everywhere.

Now, about 10 days later, I can access it from lots of different
computers, except for from my own home.

I have two computers at home (one linux, one winxp), both connected to a
Linksys BEFSR41 router. Neither computer is able to connect to the site,
each browser giving variations on:

"Host not found"

Other websites work fine.

Do you think this this a router problem? A DNS problem?

--
Toby
Old August 6th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Toby Newman wrote:

Recently, my website (hosted remotely by a 3rd party) moved servers.
When it returned, it took the DNS servers 24 hours or so to catch up and
for it to be available everywhere.

Now, about 10 days later, I can access it from lots of different
computers, except for from my own home.

I have two computers at home (one linux, one winxp), both connected to a
Linksys BEFSR41 router. Neither computer is able to connect to the site,
each browser giving variations on:

"Host not found"

Other websites work fine.

Do you think this this a router problem? A DNS problem?

Dns problem, quite often a DNS servers database can get corupted the
work around is to specify another ISPs DNS server as your one of your
DNS pair as "get U home" fix.

When I was with BT YaPhoo I had a couple of spells of similar problems
so in addition to the above I started running a local DNS caching server
as a service on my NT4 workstation. After trying Podasis (which was OK)
I switched to Treewalk for XP/Win2000 but I found also runs fine as
service on NT4.

Another thing you could try is using a program called "Hostess" with
which you can add frequently visted sites to your hosts file and so
navigate to them more quickly without the need for DNS lookups.
Old August 6th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Agent News Reader

could be an MTU problem in the router.

You say you can connect from other machines but not from home. Can you
connect to any website from home.

When you fire up the URL at home, does internet explorer find the
website but takes a long time loading the page and then eventually it
gives up and displays the error message.

Old August 7th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

"Agent News Reader" wrote in message
could be an MTU problem in the router.

You say you can connect from other machines but not from home. Can you
connect to any website from home.

Yes, I can connect to any other website. It is only asktoby.com that fails,
I think because it moved servers and NTL's DNS server hasn't realised.

When you fire up the URL at home, does internet explorer find the
website but takes a long time loading the page and then eventually it
gives up and displays the error message.

I get "resolving host www.asktoby.com" in the status bar for about 15
seconds, followed by a dialogue: www.asktoby.com could not be found. Please
check the name and try again.

Old August 7th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

"AR Gonot" wrote in message

Dns problem, quite often a DNS servers database can get corupted the
work around is to specify another ISPs DNS server as your one of your
DNS pair as "get U home" fix.

Tried that, it works! Is it just a matter of waiting for NTL's DNS server to
realise that www.asktoby.com has moved now, or is there something I can do
to make it realise?

Thanks for your advice,

Toby

Old August 7th 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 07 Aug
2004 10:48:56 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Toby Newman"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Tried that, it works! Is it just a matter of waiting for NTL's DNS server to
realise that www.asktoby.com has moved now, or is there something I can do
to make it realise?

It's working now for me, and I'm on NTL.

And hello, btw

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old August 9th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

deKay wrote in message . ..

It's working now for me, and I'm on NTL.

And hello, btw

All seems settled down for me too, yep.
Usenet population: 46!
Old August 9th 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 9 Aug 2004
01:46:38 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.home-networking,

deKay wrote in message . ..

It's working now for me, and I'm on NTL.

And hello, btw

All seems settled down for me too, yep.
Usenet population: 46!

42 of whom are in Norwich, it seems :P