HELP: Sharing Whole C: Drive Accross Network in XP Pro

Old August 7th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

Default HELP: Sharing Whole C: Drive Accross Network in XP Pro

Hi,

I'm trying to share the C: drive of two computers across the network so
i can sort though files on both from my machine. I need access to the
user profile folders as well as the windows and program files folder.

However when i share the disk, i can only connect and look though a few
folders. On the folders i need access to i get permission denied.

This happens even though i'm connecting with the admin account
credentials on the remote machine. I used to be able to do this fine
but after rebuilding both machines (XP+SP1+SP2RC2) i seem to have lost
this ability.

Any idea how i can achieve this?

Hardeep.

Old August 8th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Default Sharing Whole C: Drive Accross Network in XP Pro

"Hardeep Rakhra" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to share the C: drive of two computers across the network so
i can sort though files on both from my machine. I need access to the
user profile folders as well as the windows and program files folder.

However when i share the disk, i can only connect and look though a few
folders. On the folders i need access to i get permission denied.

You should be able to use the hidden, unalterable 'C$' share (with
Administrator credentials) to gain full access.

Alex

Old August 10th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

You should be able to use the hidden, unalterable 'C$' share (with
Administrator credentials) to gain full access.

Hi Alex,

I've given this a go, but when i enter \\computername\c$ i get a prompt
with the username as computername/guest and grayed out, so i can't
provide the admin credentails.

I'm obiously going about it wrong, but dunno how.

Hardeep.
Old August 11th 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Hardeep Rakhra" wrote in message
You should be able to use the hidden, unalterable 'C$' share (with
Administrator credentials) to gain full access.

I've given this a go, but when i enter \\computername\c$ i get a prompt
with the username as computername/guest and grayed out, so i can't
provide the admin credentails.

You said the machines were XP; are they XP Home or Pro?

Alex

Old August 19th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

Alex Fraser wrote:

You said the machines were XP; are they XP Home or Pro?

XP Pro, with SP2

Hardeep.

Program to transfer multiple files accross network ??? Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 February 15th 04 04:46 PM
Best prog for transferring files accross network ? Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 February 14th 04 08:27 PM
Old Laptop Without CD Drive Onto My Network (newbie question) Mark Downey uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 9 January 31st 04 01:43 AM
Sharing External Drive Mike Sands uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 August 11th 03 01:08 AM
Email Sharing over Network Andrew Pick uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 August 5th 03 09:15 PM