802.11b or g adapter for Win 98 laptop?

Old August 8th 04, 07:33 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

Default 802.11b or g adapter for Win 98 laptop?

A friend has an old IBM laptop and would like to add wireless networking. I
don't know the model or spec but I do know it is running Win 98 First
Edition. Does anyone know of a PCMCIA adapter that would provide 802.11b or
g connection under Win 98 FE? Everything I've seen seems to require Win 98
SE or later.

Alternatively, would a USB 1.1 wireless adapter work under this OS? The
laptop is not used as a portable machine but in a fixed location at one
desk, with a monitor, so a trailing lead or stubby antenna need not be a
problem.

Any recommendations?