is this possible

Old August 8th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chickenbomb

Default is this possible

to connect a PC running Windows (unsure of the OS), to a Mac, to enable file
sharing and internet connection sharing.

the ISP being used is AOL, but has not been installed on the Mac yet

any help be much appreciated, im asking for my mate who has no access to
usenet, so any "idiots guides" be much appreciated, so i can understand it
to then explain to him

Old August 8th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Chickenbomb wrote:
to connect a PC running Windows (unsure of the OS), to a Mac, to
enable file sharing and internet connection sharing.

the ISP being used is AOL, but has not been installed on the Mac yet

any help be much appreciated, im asking for my mate who has no access
to usenet, so any "idiots guides" be much appreciated, so i can
understand it to then explain to him

Which one will have the net connection?
The mac or the pc?
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old August 9th 04, 12:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chickenbomb

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Chickenbomb wrote:
to connect a PC running Windows (unsure of the OS), to a Mac, to
enable file sharing and internet connection sharing.

the ISP being used is AOL, but has not been installed on the Mac yet

any help be much appreciated, im asking for my mate who has no access
to usenet, so any "idiots guides" be much appreciated, so i can
understand it to then explain to him

Which one will have the net connection?
The mac or the pc?
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

the Pc, the only reason he wants to keep AOL is to keep hold of his mails,

so it can be that the pc without aol can just use IE.

Old August 9th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Chickenbomb wrote:
to connect a PC running Windows (unsure of the OS), to a Mac, to enable file
sharing and internet connection sharing.

the ISP being used is AOL, but has not been installed on the Mac yet

any help be much appreciated, im asking for my mate who has no access to
usenet, so any "idiots guides" be much appreciated, so i can understand it
to then explain to him

I seem to remember a lot depends on the version of AOL installed.
Old August 9th 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:48:56 GMT, "Chickenbomb"
strung together this:

the only reason he wants to keep AOL is to keep hold of his mails,
so it can be that the pc without aol can just use IE.

When you say 'mails', do you mean existing emails or his email
accounts?
If the former then that's easily worked around.
If the latter then I'm sure that the advantages of getting a better
ISP outweigh the inconvenience of changing some details on forms and
sending a couple of 'change of email address' emails out.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 9th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:31:02 GMT, "Chickenbomb"
strung together this:

he wants to keep hold of his e mail address, if his e mail account is
active, and the AOL software is only installed on one machine, but he has
access thru IE, on the other, then that should be ok

You could do that, you could ditch the AOL software on both machines
if you really wanted, not sure how off the top of my head.

his ideal he has just told me is to have one internet connection split to
allow both machines to connect, but enabling him to access his e mails from
either machine, and also, dont know how much difference this makes, he would
like to do this "wirelessly".

Yep, can do that. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how as,
fortunately, I have never had anything to do with anything involving
AOL.

whichever way is easiest to set up, that will be ideal.

Use another ISP would be far, far easier than using AOL, but if that's
what he wants....
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 10th 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Chickenbomb wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

[...]

Many Thanks

With any normal ISP no problem but AOL is different, with a dial up pots
modem as I said earlier a lot depends on the version numbers of used ,
later version of AOL appear to be designed to frustrate sharing via a
proxy server such Windows ICS, although I am to there is now a work
around for this but it may only work for sharing between two Windows
Pcs. With a broadband connection things should be easier as suitable
router should be able to connect usinng PPoE. It is more difficult to
get info on AOL problems from outside AOL best to try a search for AOL
keyword " home networking " from a computer running AOL.

However the simplest advice if for your friend to abandon AOL and get a
proper ISP

Old August 12th 04, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

snip
he wants to keep hold of his e mail address, if his e mail account is
active, and the AOL software is only installed on one machine, but he

has
access thru IE, on the other, then that should be ok

The AOL software will only need to be run to get the AOL email.
Web-browsing can be done with IE on either machine with a router.

his ideal he has just told me is to have one internet connection split

allow both machines to connect, but enabling him to access his e mails

from
either machine, and also, dont know how much difference this makes, he

would
like to do this "wirelessly".

Get an ADSL router, set the mtu to 1400, VCI and VPI to 0/38, username
(format ) and password, and bob's your mother's
brother.
And no, he doesn't want to do it wirelessly. Wireless is expensive and
relatively unreliable.
Wires are always better, harder to install, but they keep working, and
someone has to have access to the end of the wire to hack the
network.... unfortunately one end of the wire is the internet.
Good luck with it all anyway