Video Sender

Old August 9th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Video Sender

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Reason I ask is that I soon learnt with 802.11b and g not to believe
what is printed on the box regarding expectations and am wondering if
the same is to be expected with a video sending unit.

My one and only experience of them was abit of ghosting although this
was about 18 months ago and I know technology has moved on a bit.

Geoff Lane

Old August 9th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Reason I ask is that I soon learnt with 802.11b and g not to believe
what is printed on the box regarding expectations and am wondering if
the same is to be expected with a video sending unit.

My one and only experience of them was abit of ghosting although this
was about 18 months ago and I know technology has moved on a bit.

Geoff Lane

I have a video sender sitting 2' from my DG834G router in the living room
and they share the airwaves with two 802.11g/Bluetooth laptops, two DECT
phones, two Bluetooth phones and two Bluetooth PDAs all in the same room.

The video receiver is in the bedroom above and the signal is pretty much
perfect unless I turn on the 802.11b laptop in the bedroom, when small
horizontal white lines flicker on the TV screen a bit. If the laptop is away
from the direct signal path then the interference is not really a problem.
If the laptop is very near the line of sight between the video sender and
receiver then the interference gets to be too annoying.

The video sender/receiver have a switch to select between 4 different
frequencies. I don't know what the individual frequencies are but I haven't
needed to fiddle about changing frequencies.

Old August 9th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:23:01 +0100, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Reason I ask is that I soon learnt with 802.11b and g not to believe
what is printed on the box regarding expectations and am wondering if
the same is to be expected with a video sending unit.

I have a video sender sitting 2' from my DG834G router in the living room
and they share the airwaves with two 802.11g/Bluetooth laptops, two DECT
phones, two Bluetooth phones and two Bluetooth PDAs all in the same room.

The video receiver is in the bedroom above and the signal is pretty much
perfect unless I turn on the 802.11b laptop in the bedroom, when small
horizontal white lines flicker on the TV screen a bit.

The only thing that makes me a bit reluctant to try one is my
experience with 802.11b/g WiFi

The signal strength in my home is not too good, my PDA has to be
really in the same room or at least within line of sight of the wood
door. The laptop is acceptable but not brilliant.My signals virtually
stop when the microwave oven is on; I am thinking if my neighbour
decides to cook something when I am watching a film it could be a bit
dodgy.

Geoff Lane

Old August 9th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sean

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Reason I ask is that I soon learnt with 802.11b and g not to believe
what is printed on the box regarding expectations and am wondering if
the same is to be expected with a video sending unit.

My one and only experience of them was abit of ghosting although this
was about 18 months ago and I know technology has moved on a bit.

Geoff Lane

Video sender units these days use the 2.4GHz band (The same band used by
Wi-Fi, and for Bluetooth applications. As with any piece of equipment that
uses such high frequency radio waves, the range can vary immensely due to
the conditions under which they are operated. The maximum range is usually
only achieved under line of sight conditions, ie in open space. This is so
for any equipment which uses radio technology. With the addition of a
couple of beam aerials connected to WiFi 802.11 cards, the range can be
increased to several kilometres in open space. I have a link which is over
2.5 km with very good results.

Sean

Old August 9th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
The only thing that makes me a bit reluctant to try one is my
experience with 802.11b/g WiFi

The signal strength in my home is not too good, my PDA has to be
really in the same room or at least within line of sight of the wood
door. The laptop is acceptable but not brilliant.My signals virtually
stop when the microwave oven is on; I am thinking if my neighbour
decides to cook something when I am watching a film it could be a bit
dodgy.

Geoff Lane

You could get one at Argos and see how it goes and just return it within 16
days if it doesn't meet your needs. That may not be the cheapest place
though - I think I saw that Aldi or Lidl are doing video senders for 29.99
either now or in the next few days. My own units were from Tchibo (a coffee
shop!!?!!) and cost 44.90 a couple of years ago.

Old August 9th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Assuming its a 2.4Ghz unit the wavelength will be
300/2400
=0.125 meters
=12.5 cm

Are you confusing wavelength with transmitting range?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 10th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:37:26 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Assuming its a 2.4Ghz unit the wavelength will be
300/2400
=0.125 meters
=12.5 cm

Are you confusing wavelength with transmitting range?

Haven't a clue but I did mean to type waveband.

Geoff Lane

Old August 11th 04, 01:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

Assuming its a 2.4Ghz unit the wavelength will be
300/2400
=0.125 meters
=12.5 cm

Are you confusing wavelength with transmitting range?

Haven't a clue but I did mean to type waveband.

Geoff Lane

My preference is for the (illegal) type that transmits on an unused UHF TV
channel. No special receiver box(es) to buy and set up.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 13th 04, 07:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:22:04 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

My preference is for the (illegal) type that transmits on an unused UHF TV
channel. No special receiver box(es) to buy and set up.

I've not see those options at all, I understand the TV would be tuned
in to a spare channel but what does the transmitting?

Geoff Lane

Old August 14th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:22:04 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Does anyone know what wavelength video sending units broadcast on?

My preference is for the (illegal) type that transmits on an unused UHF

TV
channel. No special receiver box(es) to buy and set up.

I've not see those options at all, I understand the TV would be tuned
in to a spare channel but what does the transmitting?

The video sender of course, but thats all you need, The reciever is the TV
or VCR.
I am sure they are still availible.

Geoff Lane