small office net

Old August 10th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brett

Default small office net

Hi Folks,

I'm installing a small office network.
I currently used b/band from BT (don't ask).
Any way, the modem they gave me is a USB.
I now want to use a US robotics adsl router/modem.
My question is, will I be able to use this with the BT subscription?
Or, will there be compatability issues.

TIA

Brett
Old August 10th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On 10 Aug 2004 12:59:34 -0700, (Brett) strung
together this:

Or, will there be compatability issues.

Nope, should be fine.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 11th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Brett wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm installing a small office network.
I currently used b/band from BT (don't ask).
Any way, the modem they gave me is a USB.
I now want to use a US robotics adsl router/modem.
My question is, will I be able to use this with the BT subscription?
Or, will there be compatability issues.

TIA

Brett

No problems using an ADSL router with BT in fact it is the best way to
connect even with a single computer. The main things to watch durring
set is that the router is set to Connection type = pp0a, encapsulation =
vcmux VPI/VCI = 0 / 38 and authentication = CHAP.

I don't the US Robotics router (I have not used US Robotics gear for
some years) but even the cheapest routers that Ebuyer sell for under
the 30 pound mark work well and have a built in NATS firewalling.
Remember to review your networks security carefully particularly if you
are using Windows.