Best place for a proxy/cache

Old August 11th 04, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.comp.home-networking
fred bloggs

Default Best place for a proxy/cache

Hi all,

I'd like folks opinion on the following:

We have a network of 5 pc that are often downloading the same data and it
strikes me that some form of proxy server/cache would help to speed things
up and make better use of the internet connection.

The 5 pcs connect to a Ethernet switch that sits connects to the trusted
port on a firewall/router (Netscreen device) which has its own DHCP server
built in.

The untrusted port of the Netscreen connects to a Draytek modem/router with
SPI, and thence to a 2M ADSL line.

I have a1.5G athlon machine running Win98 SE spare, although I could put XP
up at a pinch.

So, if I want to add a caching mechanism, where is the best place to put it?

In the DMZ between the netsceen and modem?
Use the Win98 with some software (any suggestions?), double home it ( make
it a proxy server) and put it between the Ethernet switch and the Netscreen?
I thought of products like WinProxy in this second case but am open to other
Windoze-based suggestions.
Other suggestions?

Thanks for any help

Kind regards, Mike

Old August 11th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jo Bloe

fred bloggs wrote:
So, if I want to add a caching mechanism, where is the best place to put it?

In the DMZ between the netsceen and modem?
Use the Win98 with some software (any suggestions?), double home it ( make
it a proxy server) and put it between the Ethernet switch and the Netscreen?
I thought of products like WinProxy in this second case but am open to other
Windoze-based suggestions.
Other suggestions?

There's no need for it to be in the DMZ.

As for software, why not give Linux a go? SQUID is a doddle to install,
and you'll pick up a new skill at the same time. Download a distro from
somewhere and you'll have a working solution within a week, promise!
Distributions like SuSE have GUI's to set SQUID etc up on anyway these days.
Old August 11th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
fred bloggs

"Jo Bloe" wrote in message
fred bloggs wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jo,
As you surmised I am Linux naive so maybe this is a good exercise to
overcome that.

What is SQUID anyway, and any site suggestions for downloading a distro?

Thanks once more, Mike

Old August 11th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jo Bloe

fred bloggs wrote:

Thanks Jo,
As you surmised I am Linux naive so maybe this is a good exercise to
overcome that.

What is SQUID anyway, and any site suggestions for downloading a distro?

SQUID is proxying/cache software, we recently set it up in our office
for controlling what pages are accessible to staff. As a bonus, it
cache's frequently used pages for us to give the ADSL line a break.
Took no longer than a day, and I hadn't touched SQUID before in my life.
SQUID is available for Windows, but we chose Linux as we already had
it running on a box. No Microsoft Licence required, and the same box
acts as a mail server (in and out), HTTP/DB server and domain controller
using Samba. It also dishes out user profiles and home directories.
It's only a Duron 1.2 with 128 megs RAM!! Try doing that with Windows :-)

The distribution we use is Slackware (http://www.slackware.com), but
this might not be the best choice if you're just starting out.
Installing Slackware is a doddle, maybe slightly harder than Windows as
you have to create a couple of partitions on your hard drive (one for
the OS etc, and one for swap space). You'd have to download and install
SQUID seperately which you may not be comfortable doing. It's real easy
though, and there are plenty of guides out there.
http://www.google.com/linux is a good start. The people in
news://alt.os.linux.slackware are very helpful too.

I'm sure someone familiar with other distributions could tell you if it
comes with SQUID included to make the set up even easier. I'd
definitely go with SQUID on Linux though, it sounds like what you want
to achieve would be perfectly suited to Linux and it'd be a great little
project to help learn it too!
Old August 11th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
fred bloggs

"Jo Bloe" wrote in message
fred bloggs wrote:

Thanks Jo,
As you surmised I am Linux naive so maybe this is a good exercise to
overcome that.

What is SQUID anyway, and any site suggestions for downloading a distro?

snip

Jo,
I forgot to ask, are you suggesting that the Linux box go between the
Ethernet switch (one NIC up) and the Netsceen box (another NIC down)

Mike

Old August 11th 04, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "fred
bloggs" says...
Hi all,

I'd like folks opinion on the following:

We have a network of 5 pc that are often downloading the same data and it
strikes me that some form of proxy server/cache would help to speed things
up and make better use of the internet connection.

The 5 pcs connect to a Ethernet switch that sits connects to the trusted
port on a firewall/router (Netscreen device) which has its own DHCP server
built in.

The untrusted port of the Netscreen connects to a Draytek modem/router with
SPI, and thence to a 2M ADSL line.

I have a1.5G athlon machine running Win98 SE spare, although I could put XP
up at a pinch.

So, if I want to add a caching mechanism, where is the best place to put it?

In the DMZ between the netsceen and modem?

Why put the proxy on a different network from the client machines?
If you do that you need to harden the server against any attacks that
the Netscreen would otherwise block, so you might as well get rid of the
Netscreen and use the proxy server as a firewall/router.

Use the Win98 with some software (any suggestions?), double home it ( make
it a proxy server) and put it between the Ethernet switch and the Netscreen?

In this case the proxy would also be acting as a router - see above.

I thought of products like WinProxy in this second case but am open to other
Windoze-based suggestions.
Other suggestions?

Why use Windows when Linux is probably better suited to this sort of
task?
This is available for Windows or Linux:
http://www.delegate.org/delegate/

Whatever software/OS you use, the simplest way to hook it up is as a
client of the Netscreen (but using a static IP address). Point the
other machines at the proxy, point the proxy at your router.
Old August 12th 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jo Bloe

fred bloggs wrote:

Jo,
I forgot to ask, are you suggesting that the Linux box go between the
Ethernet switch (one NIC up) and the Netsceen box (another NIC down)

No need for that, just plug in the Linux box (or whatever you end up
having as your cache/proxy) to a port on your switch.

If the proxy stays behind your firewall it'll be protected and locking
it down so much won't be necessary.

I see another poster has already given a much more in depth explanation
though :-)
Old August 12th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Jo Bloe wrote:
fred bloggs wrote:

[...]

Going the Linux route the easy way to do it would be to use the IPCop
1.3 distro sitting between the network hub and the router. IPCop wil run
on any old 486+ hardware is real easy to install but takes over the
whole hard disk. Only thing to watch durring install is it reqires 2
network cards both of which must be connected one (green) to the hub the
(red) other to the router.

alternatively doing things the micro$ way "Proxomitron" is a pretty
good freeware it also has the big advantage of blocking pop ups and
other garbage. It it can run in the background on any Windows
workstation to allow other PCs to proxy access just require a single box
ticked and the IP address range of the trusted network entered.

Old August 13th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:58:23 +0100, AR Gonot
strung together this:

Going the Linux route the easy way to do it would be to use the IPCop
1.3 distro sitting between the network hub and the router.

So how do you setup IPCop as a cache then?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd