Can someone help please?

Old August 12th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vans

Default Can someone help please?

I've just bought an IBM Thinkpad, and want it to be able to use the
broadband connection on my desktop PC at home.

The desktop has a copperjet external ADSL modem (using Freeserve broadband),

I know I need a router - I was thinking of DL or something similar, and a
wireless networking card for the laptop, but do I need anything else?

Thanks in anticipation.

Email:
Tel: 0700 580 1116
Fax: 0700 580 1117

Old August 12th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Vans" wrote in news:cffts2$bsc$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

copperjet external ADSL modem

1) If this ADSL modem only connects to your PC via USB, it won't work
with a wireless router. You're usually best off to get a wireless
router with ADSL modem built-in, such as a Netgear DG834M.

2) Go for products that have WiFi-compatibility and support 802.11g.

Old August 12th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:51:00 +0000, BRG wrote:

"Vans" wrote in news:cffts2$bsc$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

copperjet external ADSL modem

1) If this ADSL modem only connects to your PC via USB, it won't work
with a wireless router. You're usually best off to get a wireless
router with ADSL modem built-in, such as a Netgear DG834M.

2) Go for products that have WiFi-compatibility and support 802.11g.

And don't forget to setup the security on it.

Dave