Recognising CD/DVD drive as a CD/DVD over a network

Old August 13th 04, 01:32 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,uk.comp.home-networking
DS

Default Recognising CD/DVD drive as a CD/DVD over a network

Hello,

While i was thinking about better ways to watch a DVD in my house I came
accross an idea but I have no way to get it to work yet.

The question is how do i get a mapped CD/DVD drive to appear on another PC
as a CD/DVD drive even though its mapped over the network? Normally they
appear as hard drives when mapped in this case I want it to appear as a
CD/DVD drive. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old August 13th 04, 02:34 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter

Hi,

I can't comment on how to do this system-wise (maybe someone else can, I
doubt if it is possible !!).

But there used to be something like NetAspi (I don't know what happened with
NetAspi actually ?? Someone ?)

The nice thing about NetAspi was that it behaved like Aspi at the end where
apps (like IsoBuster, Nero, DVD players ...) can plug in but at the other
end it provided an interface over a network and connected all drives on all
PCs running the NetAspi driver.
So you could in fact write discs with Nero or Creator installed on PC1 for
instance but to a drive on PC2 in the other room.

Best Regards,
Peter
Peter Van Hove
CD and DVD Data recovery and rescue :

www.Smart-Projects.net
www.IsoBuster.com
www.cdrecovery.net
Stay informed :
Get the latest IsoBuster beta :
www.isobuster.com/beta

Old August 18th 04, 12:24 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

"DS" wrote in message ...
Hello,

While i was thinking about better ways to watch a DVD in my house I came
accross an idea but I have no way to get it to work yet.

The question is how do i get a mapped CD/DVD drive to appear on another PC
as a CD/DVD drive even though its mapped over the network? Normally they
appear as hard drives when mapped in this case I want it to appear as a
CD/DVD drive. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi
It didnt work for me :-(, I tried this, the mapped DVD drive is seen
ok but you cant play DVD's from it. I think its a codec thing, Your
option maybe is to set up a streaming media server.. or google for
networked DVD, Im sure I found something but it was too flaky to use

Good luck

Ian
Old August 18th 04, 04:04 PM posted to alt.cd-rom,uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

DS wrote:
Hello,

While i was thinking about better ways to watch a DVD in my house I came
accross an idea but I have no way to get it to work yet.

The question is how do i get a mapped CD/DVD drive to appear on another PC
as a CD/DVD drive even though its mapped over the network? Normally they
appear as hard drives when mapped in this case I want it to appear as a
CD/DVD drive. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Might be worth having a look at a Linux multimedia distro such as
Dynabolic if its possible that where you will find it.

Wanadoo plans BB drive scuffler uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 December 13th 04 07:21 PM
HELP: Sharing Whole C: Drive Accross Network in XP Pro Hardeep Rakhra uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 5 August 19th 04 08:27 PM
Old Laptop Without CD Drive Onto My Network (newbie question) Mark Downey uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 9 January 31st 04 01:43 AM
Sharing External Drive Mike Sands uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 August 11th 03 01:08 AM
playing audio cds via a networked drive! neil uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 July 19th 03 06:41 PM