Limited range of wireless router modem

Old August 14th 04, 08:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

Default Limited range of wireless router modem

I have 2 desktop PCs both running W98SE. Each has got a Belkin PCI wireless
network card (7000) and, because they would only 'see' each other a few feet
apart in ad hoc mode I've now got a Belkin wireless router/modem (7630). The
PCs still need to be 15 feet apart to communicate with each other tho'
they're both working perfectly well separately - internet access etc.

Can anyone suggest some way of increasing this range which is enormously
less than claimed for the router? Belkin, who certainly try to be helpful,
have already replaced one router because of overheating - the new one seems
to be getting pretty hot as well. I have tried changing channels but this
has had no effect

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)

Old August 15th 04, 08:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

Thanks Mike - I hadn't thought of that - I'll give it a try - I could see
myself otherwise buying a wireless access point.

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)

Old August 15th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:03:05 +0100, "Rex D Last"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest some way of increasing this range which is enormously
less than claimed for the router?

Rex, what is not mentioned on the box is the numerous household items
that can affect the signal.

Water tanks, radiators, wall insulation, metal objects (Cookers,
fridges etc) can all have an effect.

My WiFi virtually stops when my microwave oven is on.

Antenna position is important too, a few feet can make all the
difference.

Geoff Lane

Old August 15th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

a few cm's can make all the diff!!
it's at 2.4GHz!!
mike

Old August 15th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

Thanks to you both for that. The 2 PCs were originally 45 feet apart and I
innocently believed the quoted range for the router. There aren't any metal
objects but there are 6 block walls in between. They're fine now in
neighbouring rooms but I would prefer not to have to move them.

Do you, or does anyone else, know whether a wireless access point is likely
to increase the range to any significant degree?

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)

Old August 15th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

no!

the only thing you could do is to install 'repeaters' but that will slow
through-put.

can i make a suggestion.....

put the CM/router as high up in the house as possible (even if you need to
extend the DC feed & CM feed cable)
then fold the aerial(s) flat (hozizontal).

i have a lynksys 54G mounted on a small wooden shelf along with the CM right
up in the apex of my 3 storey house.
myself in all rooms & my neighbour can get it quite ok.

fair comment, i work in tronics so know a bit.
but one good advantage is that the two can be run from a 12volt dryfit & a
trickle charger (i also use solar cells!!)
we here in the stick get frequent power cuts, this works fine! even in a
power cut.

anyway things to think over there.

mike

Old August 16th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

Thanks, Mike - I'll try that.
--
Rex